30 year dirt bike hiatus. Just bought a 03KDX200

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
BATTERY88

30 year dirt bike hiatus. Just bought a 03KDX200

Post by BATTERY88 »

In true mid life crisis style I just bought a dirt bike. 2003 KDX 200. I’m 49 and haven’t owned a dirt bike in over 30 years. My last bike was a 84 CR250. I rode trails mainly and raced a few seasons at the Woodland Wa track. Someone had to place 16th! :grin:

The bike seems pretty clean and doesn’t seem to be modified from stock in any way. Even the grips appear original. Tires are in great shape but suited for hard terrain. Dunlop D739 front and rear.

After searching the forum a while I answered most of my questions, but I couldn’t figure out of the KDX came stock with a spark arrestor.

I plan on adding handguards and maybe buying tires along with riding gear. Bars seem bent and sweep back too much for my taste. I just want to get it ready to ride and then figure out what I need/want. No reason to spend $800 on aftermarket parts to just find out I’m not into it.

Any advice will be appreciated. About the spark arrestor, tire choices for the NW and handlebar options.

Oh and I won’t be riding for a few months. I just had my hip replaced. “Midlife crisis time.

So I have plenty of time to get it ready.
00D18A6E-98DA-4BCA-A4F5-7D92147690DA.jpeg
00D18A6E-98DA-4BCA-A4F5-7D92147690DA.jpeg (975.21 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
Bmac

Re: 30 year dirt bike hiatus. Just bought a 03KDX200

Post by Bmac »

WOW! I feel like I just read my own story. 48 years old, have not owned a dirt bike in over 30 years. My last bike was a 1984 KDX200.
I just bought a 98 KDX220R . I guess once it's in your blood it never leaves. I just joined the group a few days ago myself. This site is amazing.
So much information. I will post a pic of my bike under introductions this weekend after I put the new seat cover on. Welcome aboard.
BATTERY88

Post by BATTERY88 »

I’m hearing a lot of guys my age wake up like rip van winkle and start doing kid stuff again. “Before it’s too late”

I just answered my spark arrestor question. My detective skills led me to actually look at it. Shocker.. it says right on it that’s it a spark arrestor. IM THE GREATEST DETECTIVE IN THE WORLD.

as for tires. I hear good things about the Shinko 216 fatty front and 525 cheater for the rear. I might ride it a bit and just see how the Dunlop’s 739s act.

As for the bars. It looks like the clamp on the left is bent back a bit. It’s not the bars. Hopefully I can live with it and won’t need to replace a clamp. Or worse.

Walking around my “new to me” bike on crutches must be a sight. Unloading it from the truck with my teenage son last night was also an adventure. I had brakes and bars. He had stabilization. Suburb kid. Never unloaded a bike before. Lol. I plan on teaching him to ride. I could never afford to when he was younger. Child support etc.. as many of you know.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net to both of you! Congratulations on the KDX.

Apparently, it is Klean KDX Week here at kdxrider.net. I think that is the third one in a row on introductions that looks really nice!

HA HA! Yes. It is the stock pipe and spark arrestor. Nice and quiet!

Search for threads on handlebar clamps twisting (or handlebars twisted in clamps). It may not be damaged, just out of alignment.

Good luck on healing up most of all, then on getting the KDX to your liking. A KDX is a whole lot cheaper than a Corvette!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

BATTERY88 wrote: 12:17 am Aug 09 2019 In true mid life crisis style I just bought a dirt bike. 2003 KDX 200. I’m 49 and haven’t owned a dirt bike in over 30 years. My last bike was a 84 CR250. I rode trails mainly and raced a few seasons at the Woodland Wa track. Someone had to place 16th! :grin:

Welcome!
I guess I was around 49 when I had my mid-life crisis and went from being an avid surfer back to riding motorcycles again. My wife doesn't like 'em, but tolerates the fact that between my two sons and me we have 9 bikes. Like you I just acuired another KDX.

Best wishes of healing up quickly, getting strong and enjoy riding that clean looking KDX.
NEVER FORGET!
DBCooper

Post by DBCooper »

That's a great find! Amazing how many nice KDX's are still around.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

KDXGarage wrote: 08:14 am Aug 09 2019 Welcome to kdxrider.net to both of you! Congratulations on the KDX.

Apparently, it is Klean KDX Week here at kdxrider.net. I think that is the third one in a row on introductions that looks really nice!

Dude your not kidding!!! Wth is going on? Everyone in the US decide to sell their closet-kept KDX's in August?

Thats a great looking bike! You are super lucky to have found one in pristine condition. A keeper for sure.
Also its not a mid life crisis, its the need to braaap. Ride on brother!
Attachments
confucious.jpg
confucious.jpg (331.54 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I love seeing these clean bikes pop up on the forum. I'm 46 and bought my KDX a couple years ago. I told my wife I've wanted one since the early 80's so this isn't a crisis, I just procrastinated for a few decades.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the club. Some great riding down in your part of the state in the Gifford Pinchot, and across the river in the Willamette, as well as further north and the east side of the state. As for the bars you can remove the top clamps and then remove the bottom clamps and check the rubber cones, they do wear out and replacing them may get your bars and clamps back in line. Of course, they could just be bent bars too lol.
BATTERY88

Post by BATTERY88 »

One more dumb question.

I planned on running maxima super m for two stroke oil. Put put around trails. I doubt I will be reviving the bike out until I learn to ride again. Owner said he put ATF type F in gear box. Said he ran valvoline 2 stroke mix also.

I still need to change out the bent handlebar damper. It’s hard to leave it sit and not spend money tinkering. Lol
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

BATTERY88 wrote: 05:44 pm Aug 10 2019 One more dumb question.

I planned on running maxima super m for two stroke oil. Put put around trails. I doubt I will be reviving the bike out until I learn to ride again. Owner said he put ATF type F in gear box. Said he ran valvoline 2 stroke mix also.

I still need to change out the bent handlebar damper. It’s hard to leave it sit and not spend money tinkering. Lol
What was the question??
BATTERY88

Post by BATTERY88 »

Crap. I read that again. Is that a good choice for two stroke oil?

Maxima super m two stroke oil?

I don’t want to be in a great oil debate! Lol. Just curious what is a good go to for out west in the slow trails.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Welcome back to the best sport out there! I got back into it 6 years ago when a buddy dropped dead of a heart attack, 61 now and loving it. Maxima will work as will most any 2t oil will, I use Lucas because it’s always available and not to pricey. ATF type f works great in the gear box and is cheap.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Super M will be fine.

Enjoy that KDX!
2stroke1971

Post by 2stroke1971 »

Awesome man!! Welcome back to the fold!

I am 48 and just bought a kdx myself. I’ve done enough riding over the years to keep the spark alive but I’m ready to do as much as I can!

My midlife crisis came early and I started racing vintage mx in my 30s. I think I’m having another midlife crisis now because life is settling down in some ways... I just want to ride for fun now!!!

Good luck with the hip healing up, one of my friends who rides had both knees done one right after the other and once healed it didn’t slow him down a bit!!
1994 kdx200, 1981 yz465, 1981 xt500, 1975 kx400, 1972 F9 350, 1972 S2 350, 1995 MZ skorpion, 1987 kd80, Baja mini
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Beautiful bike! Looks like it was barely ridden.

The KDX will be a great bike for you to hop on and just ride. Upgrade the bars to 1-1/8" (you'll need universal adaptors), new grips, tires, hand guards, and new tires and you are good to go! I am still running the stock tires on mine haha, but I am going to try the Kenda Trackmasters II's next or the Shinko's as you stated. I like Golden Tyres but they are expensive. You'll have to jet for your area, but other than that the bike is plug and play right out of the box. It is the bike part of the KDX, you can just kick it over and ride. Good luck and enjoy!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Just a little tip on buying tires. If you wait until Nov/Dec or so you will see some great tire deals pop up on ebay. Early season prices are usually quite a bit higher.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

TwistedRoot wrote: 01:06 pm Aug 13 2019 Just a little tip on buying tires. If you wait until Nov/Dec or so you will see some great tire deals pop up on ebay. Early season prices are usually quite a bit higher.
Now THAT’s a sticky!
I like turtles
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

As for the bars. It looks like the clamp on the left is bent back a bit. It’s not the bars. Hopefully I can live with it and won’t need to replace a clamp. Or worse.
Could be the bars, but more likely the clamps are just twisted in the rubber mounts. Loosen or remove both nuts holding the bar clamps (bottom of the TOP triple tree clamp) and see if you can simply "wiggle" them straight again. Then retighten the nuts that hold the clamps to the top triple tree. I had to do this nearly every time I fell (which was a lot). I replaced the old rubber cones with new red rubber "hard" cones. First fall they were twisted again and I was running around the gas stop at an enduro trying to find someone with the right size socket wrench. Now I've replaced them with aluminum cones. Haven't ridden with those yet.

Congrats on the "new to you" bike!

Old Guy Racin'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Look into a solid top piece for the handlebar clamps. KX's had them YEARS ago. FRP used to make a beautiful top clamp.