1999 KDX200 Race Mods

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
KDXRacer1999

1999 KDX200 Race Mods

Post by KDXRacer1999 »

So I started racing harescrambles this past season and long story short, I'm hooked. I'm really excited for the 2019 season and am looking forward to progressing my skills on the bike and while working on my bike. This winter, in a couple months or so, I'm going to be putting a bunch of time and money into my bike to make sure that it's ready for racing and then I can focus on honing in my skills. Would like some input in the following modifications for racing: Lectron carburetor, airbox lid removal, and a FMF shorty modified to fit a KDX. My bike already has a nicely set up KX front end, FMF gnarly pipe, powercore 2 silencer, full skid plate, pipe guard, endure engineering bark busters, caliper shields, Boyesen reeds, and much more I'm forgetting. Jetting has been a real PIA for me and I really like the idea of better fuel economy and smoother power delivery so those are my main reason for buying the Lectron, that and my PWK is beyond repair at this point. Thanks in advance, Gabe.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1999 KDX200 Race Mods

Post by bufftester »

First and foremost make sure that the bike is properly sprung front and rear for your riding weight/ability. I wouldn't spend anything else until that is done. A Lectron is a good choice if your PWK is ratted out, or a new RB Air Striker (I think they run about the same) would be a option. Then before race season new bearings/seals in everything, tires, and lots of time at the gym. Everything else you have on the bike is plenty good for racing. Removing your airbox lid will necessitate jetting changes, but the gains in performance are debatable. Time on the bike will net you bigger gains than money on the bike.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I agree suspension setup, health/training, and time on the bike are going to be where you see your biggest gains.

Carb, the Lectron is super nice but can be a pain to install on the KDX. It's nice not having to adjust for elevation/temp differences. That said, I never had that problem on either of my RB modified PWK's. I literally would raise or lower the needle one clip depending on whether it was summer or winter. Bike ran great from elevations of 800 to 5500 feet. However, having the squish mod, like I do on every bike, is important to a clean running and less jetting sensitive bike IMO.

I am also a believer that removing the air box lid helps power as the box is quite restrictive compared to any other modern enduro bike. Just the fact that you have to change jetting shows that you're getting more air in the engine which means more power. If you don't rev out the bike, of course, it's probably not worth pulling the lid. If you do, remove it and jet accordingly.

On the silencer, it has been proven that silencers, from shorty to OEM spark arrestor type, make almost no difference power wise on the KDX. Even a KDX is loud when racing with a shorty. Personally, keep it quiet and with a sparky. Quieter the better as you can hear racers overtaking you easier, you won't hurt your hearing or get a headache from it being loud, and it is easier to hear a problem with your bike. A lot of racers wear ear plugs but, for the reasons stated, I don't. I don't know of one single state that will allow you to ride public lands with out a spark arrestor. If where you race and practice doesn't require a spark arrestor, cool, but please keep it legal if required.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

My humble opinion is the motor is good as is. Keep a fresh plug on hand and make sure you always have a clean, oiled filter installed. Focus on getting your suspension set up for you and sorting out your carb. Then put your money on oil, gas and tires. If it were me, I would run the NitroMousse front and rear and enjoy not having to worry about flats in a race.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Suspension FIRST. Set up properly for your wgt and riding is absolutely the best “go fast “ mod you can make. Second is conditioning of yourself.
You already have everything you need in your bike to kick ass! One request, please stay with the silencer/spark arrestor. A waste of money and gives our sport a bad image otherwise. Good luck with your racing and tell us about it here!
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

KDXRacer1999 wrote: 08:35 am Jan 18 2019 My bike already has a nicely set up KX front end, FMF gnarly pipe, powercore 2 silencer, full skid plate, pipe guard, endure engineering bark busters, caliper shields, Boyesen reeds, and much more I'm forgetting.
What pipe guard are you running with that FMF gnarly? I have been looking for one, but haven't had much luck in finding one specifically for it.
KDXRacer1999

Post by KDXRacer1999 »

Moose racing universal pipe guard. Love it.