Anyone own a KDX and a KTM?

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

How do you like the KTM (in comparison to the KDX)?

So, here's my situation:
-I own a 2001 CR250 and a 97 KDX220 with '02 KX125 forks. I like the CR, but the KDX is really the much better woods bike. (I pretty much ride woods exclusively.) The KDX is more of a low/mid power and the CR has mostly mid/upper with a HUGE hit in the midrange. It (CR) honestly doesn't work that well for me in the woods.
-I'm thinking of selling the CR and buying an early 2000s KTM with the money. I'd probably buy something like a 250EXC. (Whatever I'd buy, I'd definitely get a 2 stroke). I wouldn't sell the KDX unless/until I decided that the "new" bike was an improvement over the KDX for the type of riding I do.
-I REALLY like the KDX, but I tend to think a newer bike might work better in terms of suspension and handling. The one glaring "flaw" with the KDX is that it's a bit lacking in top end power. Not horrible, but I'd like something that has low/mid AND top end power. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Jim B on 05:59 pm Aug 14 2015, edited 1 time in total.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Anyone own a KDX and a KTM?

Post by ohgood »

Jim B wrote:How do you like the KTM (in comparison to the KDX)?

So, here's my situation:
-I own a 2001 CR250 and a 97 KDX220 with '02 KX125 forks. I like the CR, but the KDX is really the much better woods bike. (I pretty much ride woods exclusively.) The KDX is more of a low/mid power and the CR has mostly mid/upper with a HUGE hit in the midrange. It (CR) honestly doesn't work that well for me in the woods.
-I'm thinking of selling the CR and buying an early 2000s KTM with the money. I'd probably buy something like a 250EXC. (Whatever I'd buy, I'd definitely get a 2 stroke). I wouldn't sell the KDX unless/until I decided that the "new" bike was an improvement over the KDX for the type of riding I do.
-I REALLY like the KDX, but I tend to think a newer bike might work better in terms of suspension and handling. The one glaring "flaw" with the KDX is that it's a bit lacking in terms of top end power. Not horrible, but I'd like something that has low/mid AND top end power. :mrgreen:
te310

just don't hate me when you want two of them !
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

The exc would definitely be the way to go theyre supposed to be fantastic woods bikes but parts are very expensive
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

ohgood wrote:te310
I think that's out of my price range; I'm looking to spend about $1,500 to $2,000. (I'm seeing the early 2000s KTM 2Ts down in that range nowadays.) I'm also much more interested in a 2T than a 4T.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

KDXohio wrote:The exc would definitely be the way to go theyre supposed to be fantastic woods bikes but parts are very expensive
I like the XCWs, but I think (KTM's naming system is very strange to me) they're all newer and out of my price range. (In other words, I think you're correct about the EXC being a good choice for my needs/budget.)
Last edited by Jim B on 12:22 am Jul 16 2016, edited 1 time in total.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

if you wan't more top end power you could always modify your 220. Have your head and carb modified from RB designs that will give you a lot of extra top end power, reeds and exhaust also really wake up the 220
Corey

Post by Corey »

Here's my story. I have a 2003 KTM 250sx that I rode in the woods here and also did some desert riding as well. Great bike super fast. I raced it in a yearly local event here called the VCGP. I totally tricked it out as well as did some gearing changes to it to make it more ridable in the tight stuff. This year the top-end gave out just before that race due to the powervalve clipping the piston :evil:. At the time I just did a top-end job and got the KIPS working on wifes '96 KDX so I thought I may as well race her bike. OMG what a bike :shock:! I was actually faster on it due to the more manageable powerband, six-speed tranny, plusher suspension (less harsh than the KTM) so I stayed fresher longer in the race and it's well .....just a more stable ride. I was so impressed with the bike that I adopted it as mine and scored a 2000 KDX220 for my wife. Since then I've done some mods to my dearly adopted steed: RB Designs carb and head, FMF Gnarly desert pipe (it had the woods pipe originally) VForce 3 reeds, jetted it, and did some other tasty mods. I LOVE this bike! Don't get me wrong the KTM is no slouch but when I want a steed that will laugh at woods, single track and tight technical stuff I'll go green :grin: When I want an eye-watering unbridled horsepower and moon shoot jumping steed I"ll go pumpkin :grin:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Corey wrote:Here's my story. I have a 2003 KTM 250sx that I rode in the woods here and also did some desert riding as well. Great bike super fast.

At the time I just did a top-end job and got the KIPS working on wifes '96 KDX so I thought I may as well race her bike. OMG what a bike :shock:! I was actually faster on it due to the more manageable powerband, six-speed tranny, plusher suspension (less harsh than the KTM) so I stayed fresher longer in the race and it's well .....just a more stable ride.
Well, that's why I'm thinking of getting rid of my CR - I've realized motocross bikes don't work so great in the woods. They can be modified to work (a lot) better, but why not just start with a bike that was designed for the woods? If I was to buy a KTM, I definitely wouldn't get the SX (MX bike). The reason you like your KDX vs. your SX is exactly the same reason I like my KDX vs. my CR. I guess I'm wondering if the KTMs are more modern/better, Austrian-made, orange "KDXs." :mrgreen:
Last edited by Jim B on 12:37 am Aug 15 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

spl383 wrote:if you wan't more top end power you could always modify your 220. Have your head and carb modified from RB designs that will give you a lot of extra top end power, reeds and exhaust also really wake up the 220
That's a great idea, and I'm thinking of doing that regardless of whether or not I buy a KTM. However, I still have to wonder how much better a more up-to-date suspension/chassis would work. (I do have the '02 KX125 forks on the KDX, and that's been a huge improvement.) I guess it's a question of how much money/effort to put into a bike that's a little older, versus just buying something newer. I don't care how much money you put into a '91 YZ250, it's not going to be as good as an '06 or newer. :busted:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

HERESY!!

:mrgreen:

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jason wrote:HERESY!!
:mrgreen:
Well, if Kawasaki had kept developing the KDX beyond mid-'90s technology... :butthead:

And remember, it's really "sell CR, buy KTM," not "sell KDX, buy KTM." (At least at first, until I got a chance to do an extended comparison of the two bikes (KTM/KDX) to each other.)
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

from about 99 to 2006 KTm front forks sucked. Earlier forks were better. 2001cr250 has a nice motor but frame is to stiff and the front forks were a little hard to get right for woods. Getting rid of the mikuni carb and putting keihn carb on it makes it a lot smoother power delivery but with mods Kdx is hard to beat in the woods
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I have a kdx and bought a really nice low hour 2001 300 exc a couple of years back for $1400 I really liked it the power is very manageable but it wil go if you crank it open. In the tight woods the kdx is king if your riding a course with many whoops and a few jumps the exc is better. I did sell the exc but kind of miss it.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Jim B wrote:
ohgood wrote:te310
I think that's out of my price range; I'm looking to spend about $1,500 to $2,000. (I'm seeing the early 2000s KTM 2Ts down in that range nowadays.) I'm also much more interested in a 2T than a 4T.
Understood. The 310 would be now like the cr, very powerful, very fast to get there.

The KTM is really good stuff. Maybe consider a 300 and tag it ?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

ohgood wrote:The KTM is really good stuff. Maybe consider a 300 and tag it ?
Yeah, the 200s, 250s and 300s all seem to have their good points. I'm thinking a 250 might be the best compromise between power and weight. That said, I'd probably look for the bike in the best shape for the money (whether it's a 200, 250, or 300). A 300cc two stroke does sound like it would be A LOT of fun to ride. :supz:

Tag it? Like put a plate on it? I probably wouldn't bother, as I don't really plan on doing any riding on the street.
Last edited by Jim B on 12:08 am Aug 25 2015, edited 1 time in total.
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

Jim B wrote:and weight.
The weight is almost the same for 200/250/300, between 101 and 102kg.
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Rode a 300 last year, the experience hasn't left my mind. The second a fair priced one comes along in the famous words of Wayne Campbell "It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine"

Electric start 2 stroke, amazing suspension, unreal power across the band, huge aftermarket support....just doesn't have the la-z-boy of dirt bike seats the kdx has.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

I have a nicely set up '05 KDX200 (PC pipe, v-force reeds, Revloc and a KX500 front end), and a re-sprung '14 Husaberg TE300 (basically a blue KTM). The 300 is defiantly more fun to ride slow than the KDX is to ride fast, and just more fun overall. That said, if I had to sell one it would likely be the Berg because the KDX is about 90% as fun to ride, but would only sell for about 1/3 of what I could get for the Berg, and I'm riding slower and slower these days.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

bcdonyo wrote:I have a nicely set up '05 KDX200 (PC pipe, v-force reeds, Revloc and a KX500 front end), and a re-sprung '14 Husaberg TE300 (basically a blue KTM). The 300 is defiantly more fun to ride slow than the KDX is to ride fast, and just more fun overall.

...the KDX is about 90% as fun to ride...
Great info - thanks for posting!
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I owned and raced a 2007 KTM 200 XCW and a 2005 KDX 200. Both are great, but the KTM was far superior IMO. Handling, braking, suspension and power all better. I don't think that's a big shocker. However, price wise the KDX is a bargain and while the KTM is the better bike, I'm not sure it's better for everyone all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk