300ex project

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
KDXohio
Supporting Member

300ex project

Post by KDXohio »

I bought this quad a week ago I have 3 other 300ex's and have parted out/fixed and sold 6 or 7 other ones. These quads are like taking candy from a baby around here I despise Honda I have nothing but problems with Honda's but I'm a 300ex guru lol. So anyway I bought this one for the sole intention of using a few parts on my Fiance's quad and putting the broken ones back on this and getting rid of it! But I got curious...... :mrgreen:

1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: 300ex project

Post by KDXohio »

It has back fenders too but I had them off when I took the picture. So when I bought it I was told the PO before the PO bored the cylinder and put in a new piston kit because it quit running and had no compression..uh oh. So he put it back together and it still wouldn't run! He then decided to cut his losses and sell it. The guy I got it from bought it to fix it...put a new timing chain in it, new valve seals, stator, ignition coil...lol basically just threw parts at it. Eventually cutting his losses and selling the ugly heap to ME! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

So lets continue.... I used the rear master cylinder, clutch perch, thumb throttle, carburetor, and throttle cable on my fiance's.
The rear wheels(8x11 ITPs :lol:) and tires on one of my others.

Battery is brand new as well but so are my others. Now that everything's been stripped I was posting it for sale and couldn't do it :cry: I had to know why she wouldn't run.

I decided to start with a compression test since that was supposedly the original problem...and to my surprise it had 0psi! As it cranked over I noticed it was blowing out through the carb.

Pulled the head and found a bent intake valve so i ordered one for 13$ came in today haven't gotten to put it back together yet :please:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

interesting

if the PO (not the OO but the one you bought it from) installed new valve seals wouldn't he have noticed the bend valve?
or should I say "shouldn't"

you should just ditch the 4 stroker and slap in a KDX engine, that should make her haul
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Don't give me any ideas my accountant doesn't like when i get ideas :hmm:

Besides the 300ex has a crappy suspension now a 450r body or similar........hmmmm
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

diymirage wrote:interesting

if the PO (not the OO but the one you bought it from) installed new valve seals wouldn't he have noticed the bend valve?
or should I say "shouldn't"
Ok so my professional opinion is that the PO is the one that bent the valve it's likely that he bent it removing it or installing it my reasoning for thinking this is bc the 300ex is a 4 valve engine so obviously if the piston kissed one it would have to kiss both intake valves not just one. So IMO when he did the valve seals he likely pulled them without the proper valve remover/installer tool. Anywho I put the engine back together tonight after lapping in the new valve. and she immediately fired up with 140psi compression WOOT WOOT!!! :partyman: :lol: :lol: :lol: :supz: :supz: :boogie: :boogie: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Thing runs fantastic had to pull the left side cover and fix the shifter shaft it wouldn't return to center on its own someone pinched it putting the cover back on.

Next thing is the right side cover is spewing oil at the bottom around the gasket where I found loose bolts and one broken bolt :roll: :naughty:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Surprisingly it rode pretty good with no brakes down to its storage hole :mrgreen:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

I wouldn't even bother with the brakes, all they do is add weight and slow you down :naughty:

KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

diymirage wrote:I wouldn't even bother with the brakes, all they do is add weight and slow you down :naughty:
Well I'm trying to turn a decent profit on this one and for some reason most people like brakes? :hmm: not sure why.

So far I'm in the quad for $375+$13(intake valve)=$388 :cool:

Once I fix the oil leak with some RTV and pull out the broken bolt which typically is pretty easy, and bleed the brakes I should be able to flip it for 600-800-1000 if I take the time to get it titled people go ape s*** for titles around here lol
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

as much as you are into it you should try to find a good donor chassis for a KDX motor

KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

In negotiations to trade this for an 89 kx500 :shock: I'm excited
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

All done minus the seat had to make new foam for it as it didnt come with any post a pic of it with the seat tomorrow Image
Robbie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Robbie »

Lol. I rolled one of those down the side of mountain before.