Well, I splurged . Bought a 4 stroke yz

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Well, I splurged . Bought a 4 stroke yz

Post by cjrincon03 »

I was looking at one a few weeks ago, but found a cleaner one. Yz450f I was "refurbishing" the KDX when my buddy starting pulling things apart, found a few big issues and he says he didn't do it, but a few things are now broke that didn't seem that way before . So I happened across another yz and went and rode that torque monster! 2003 yz450f . Well needless to say its at its new home with me now!
95 KDX
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Re: Well, I splurged . Bought a 4 stroke yz

Post by cjrincon03 »

The bike is a whole new animal . I have never EVER ridden anything with this much bottom end. I cannot comment on the top end. Haven't seen it yet. My home grown back yard "track" has never required shifting out of 1st gear. These bikes are 4 speeds. 1st gear is very tall, but all there all the time! It's not in perfect shape, I'm having a few little issues that I hope I can get solved pretty quick.

Here's another pic with my future pro! He's riding an 2007 crf70 at the moment. He's my cruising buddy.

My KDX isn't going anywhere, this 450 is for when me and the buddies go out for the day . I can tell up front this Yamaha will not tolerate putting along side a 70. It requires air moving through it , and fast!
Can't replace the kdx's ability to adapt to any task. When I get the kdx back together that'll be what I ride when my nephews and wife want to go hit the trails.

Will get more pics , but I only took two and once I unloaded it, the camera time was over!

95 KDX
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Post by cjrincon03 »

My nephew on the bike in a above picture has an older brother . They are 7 & 8. Here's some action shots of the 8yr old

:supz: :bravo:
95 KDX
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Good luck with it! Enjoy your valve adjustments, lol. At least it's not a 250f. The 450's seem to be considerably more durable. Still, any 10 y/o racing 4t is quite the gamble.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Nice bike man, as long as you can handle it, you'll love it! lol I cant handle the 450's, I'm 5'9" and weight ~145lbs... they throw me around like a rag doll lol.

My buddy has an 02 YFZ450 (I think its an 02?). I think he's only had to have the valves adjusted once in the 3 years he's had it. He loves it, and by as far as I can tell, seems to be a reliable bike. He's never had a problem with it when I was around.
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Post by cjrincon03 »

Thanks guys. I bought a 03 rincon 650 few years ago, that bike(quad) was a basket case. When I replaced the head I familiarized myself with 4t valve adjustments. So hopefully I can keep this one in running condition! It's mostly stock, aftermarket sprockets , excel wheels, works frame guards . Other then that stock. This bike is running way lean, I have to get that figured out today. I do miss how I could "putt" on the kdx. But this thing is definitely a monster. I'm 5'11 and 230, and it throws me around too! I just have to get used to the throttle . On the kdx I could hammer down through all the gears in a straight, from a dead stop and still stay upright , lol. This thing is so torquey. (That a word?) out behind the house I have about 8 acres to ride, got out on a straight and showered down pretty good. I saw my wife throw her hands up and cover her face. I had it under control.. I think.

Good thing is, my best friend went to look at it with me is drooling over it, and already made me a cash offer. He's been a Yamaha man forever . He wants it if I decide I don't.
95 KDX
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Old school 4T....Don't think anyone did it better than Honda.

New racing 4T....Seems the Yamaha is the most reliable by a long shot. They all haul the mail, but the blue blooded ones seem to keep their blood, well, on the inside better than most. Makes sense, they were the pioneers.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'll agree with Fuzzy. I have a couple friends with yz450f's, and they have had pretty good luck with them.
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Post by cjrincon03 »

Well, solved most of the little bugs. It's running really good past 1/4 throttle. If I feather the throttle till about 1/8 then shower down she's all there! If I chop it from closed to 1/2 or better (like coming out of a corner) it bogs down real low then screams! The bike was running lean, and popping a bit on deceleration . The pilot was so plugged I'm surprised this thing even started for my test ride before I bought it.

The stock jetting Is 165/42 I left the 165 and went up to a 45 pilot . Starts on 2nd/3rd kick when cold and 1st (usually) when warm. After getting it back together it started and idled much better. The immediate test ride , had a little more get up and wasn't hardly popping any more. But still bogging that first bit of throttle.

I have the fuel screw about 2 turns out

I want to play around with the needle position but I ran out of daylight!

One thing, there's alot more B.S. to unhook and unbolt just to get out the carb. Much easier on the kdx!

Here's some pics from today
I need a bike stand!

95 KDX
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I'd check the accelerator pump o rings. its fairly common for them to dry out if it sat.