Add a headlight to a 1988 KDX 200 (aftermarket)

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Wesalauzen

Add a headlight to a 1988 KDX 200 (aftermarket)

Post by Wesalauzen »

Due to the scarcity and expense of stock stuff on these bikes, wondering if anyone has added an aftermarket headlight to one of these air cooled models?

Here's the scoop on my bike. I have the yellow lead from the stator there, but disconnected. The headlight assembly is there, but the forward harness and any wiring that would connect to the headlight or bulb bracket is gone, just the bulb is sitting in there with nothing connected. The tail light is also gone as is the harness leading backward from the forward headlight.

So... first question: how do I determine the output of my stator? This thing may have an aftermarket stator on it, but I'm not sure. old system ran 6v bulbs I'm told and is too weak to run much.

2nd question: once I figure out what kind of output I have, is there a way to wire in an aftermarket headlight with just what I have? I'm thinking something along these lines (or similar): https://www.polisport.com/en/off-road/h ... cat=0&pc=1

I don't really have a need for installing a full dual sport kit, but if that's the easiest and cheapest route, I'd consider it. I've seen the tusk one, but not sure what the requirements are stator wise for it.

anyway. I'd be cool just adding a headlight with existing wiring if possible, if not what's the best option?

Thanks in advance.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Add a headlight to a 1988 KDX 200 (aftermarket)

Post by KDXGarage »

35, maybe 40 watts, RPM dependent

Years ago, ricky stator told me it could be converted to 12v and have a regulator. I am not too familiar with what determines 6 volt or 12 volt.

An upgraded lighting coil can be purchased or made from wire wrapping. Output would be about 65 watts from the one on Ricky Stator. You could then do a normal aftermarket headlight (55 watts) and have enough (10 watts) for the stock taillight if you ever got one.

Another more expensive option is a Baja Designs (or homemade / store bought) LED headlight. They have one that is OK for stock output, then another that takes advantage of an upgraded stator/ lighting coil.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

Thanks. I’ll have to figure out a way to test output on my stator. There was a voltage regulator and a bunch of other wiring on mine so I wonder if they upgraded the stator or just didn’t know the stock was low output. That would simplify things if I had a better stator already, but if not, I think any kind of headlight would be ok. I just get annoyed having a light on the front of this thing and a lighting coil and no working lights.

I’m either fixing it, or getting a number plate : )
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

1986 - 1989 KX front numberplate might be a quick and easy way to deal with it. I think it is the least "requires cutting / drilling" numberplate year model. Newer, more stylish can be fit with homemade brackets, tabs, etc.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128