Clutch

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
kjdad

Clutch

Post by kjdad »

So..I'm not too bright..but I swear I cannot figure out whats going on with the clutch on my 84. I'm still putting the bike back together and noticed that when it's in gear and I pull the clutch handle the I cannot roll the bike. Thinking it was a cable issue I disconnected the cable and use plies to work the clutch level. Still no clutch action. I pulled the cover and really didn't notice anything amiss. Motor looks brand new on the inside. Clutch disks look perfect. Clutch springs still have red paint on this. So I reassembled and working the clutch again..I feel like it's compressing the springs but still cannot freewheel the bike when in gear. The only thing I can think of is it's due to the bike not being warm or I need to add washers to the clutch pusher pin...what am I missing?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Clutch

Post by KDXGarage »

You are not the first.

It isn't supposed to freewheel when in gear, engine off, with the clutch lever pulled in. It won't move smoothly when seated and going down a hill before someone tries to bump start it.

I have KDX's, KX's, YZ, etc. None can be rolled around a garage, shed, work area, etc. when in gear. I put it in neutral, no clutch needed.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kjdad

Post by kjdad »

KDXGarage wrote: 03:57 pm Feb 10 2020 You are not the first.

It isn't supposed to freewheel when in gear, engine off, with the clutch lever pulled in. It won't move smoothly when seated and going down a hill before someone tries to bump start it.

I have KDX's, KX's, YZ, etc. None can be rolled around a garage, shed, work area, etc. when in gear. I put it in neutral, no clutch needed.
Ha..thanks. I guess I work on too many cars...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah, I do all right on KDX's, but not far from "where does the gas go?" on cars.
kjdad

Post by kjdad »

I can rebuild bmw engines with my eyes closed..kdx..still figuring out.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It won't take nearly as many oddball tools to rebuild a KDX as it does a BMW. You will be fine soon enough.
kjdad

Post by kjdad »

KDXGarage wrote: 05:16 pm Feb 10 2020 It won't take nearly as many oddball tools to rebuild a KDX as it does a BMW. You will be fine soon enough.
I race an e46 BMW..I have a whole shelf dedicated to oddball german tools.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Cool. The oddball tools are handy to have. I have a ton for Kawasaki. They sure do make jobs a lot easier and a lot of headaches saved.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Check the plates and springs to make sure they are in spec, then double check the parts diagram to make sure your washer stack up is good. Once assembled it is very normal as KDXG said to not be able to roll it in gear with the clutch pulled. A better test is to start it, pull the clutch and put it in gear.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

bufftester wrote: 08:37 pm Feb 10 2020 Check the plates and springs to make sure they are in spec, then double check the parts diagram to make sure your washer stack up is good. Once assembled it is very normal as KDXG said to not be able to roll it in gear with the clutch pulled. A better test is to start it, pull the clutch and put it in gear.
Facts. Mine doesn’t freewheel when off either. Sometimes even flipping a washer over can screw it up.
I like turtles