82 450 suspension arm caps.. any work around?

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Jerry Thurston

82 450 suspension arm caps.. any work around?

Post by Jerry Thurston »

I bit the bullet and my frighteningly expensive ball joints are on their way across the Atlantic ready to recondition the rear end of my 1982 450.

I am now trying to see if i can avoid another wallet shrinking tussle with Ebay

The genuine caps for the uni-trak rocker are as you know, simply a thick washer with a stepped rubber lip moulded to them...

I can buy them new old stock but by the time I get them here to the UK with shipping and tax I'm going to be into the equivalent of $150.

Has anybody successfully come up with an alternative way of sealing the rocker bearings from dirt/wet ingress?

I have a lathe so machine work isn't an issue...

thanks a million

Jerry
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 82 450 suspension arm caps.. any work around?

Post by bufftester »

How about cutting rubber washers the appropriate size from an old inner tube and gluing them to the metal washer? I have done that on an old Honda Odyssey I used to have and it worked fine. Other alternative would be to pack them in watertight grease and service regularly.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

I had this dilemma on my 87 200 with an 84 motor. The swing arm fits a bit differently. I didn’t want to do any grinding on the cases, so I used a properly sized o-ring or two on the bearing collar to (sort of) protect the bearings from dirt, and covered it with a machine bushing. This may or may not work for you, but I sourced everything from my local hardware store, and probably spent less than $10.

I did have two of the four original collars I needed, so that did help.
I like turtles
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you have access to a lathe you could probably turn a set of washers with a O-ring groove in them to retain it.
Jerry Thurston

Post by Jerry Thurston »

Because the Washer protrudes slightly I don't think I can bias a conventional O ring groove enough to the inner side to provide enough seal. Current thinking is to turn a 'step' (with rounded edges to keep the O ring in good shape) in the edge of the washer and use it to sandwich the ring against the bearing outer... I'll keep you posted.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yes, thats what I envisioned, the washer compressing an o-ring against the outer edge of the bearing.