Will an '87 piston work in a '83 200 ?

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
mjlovejoy4

Re: Will an '87 piston work in a '83 200 ?

Post by mjlovejoy4 »

So I am a complete idiot and couldn't follow the technical aspects of this post if I tried. At the end if I read the last post right you can make my 200 a 240 and that would eliminate my not finding a piston kit problem. Sorry such a newbie

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
KDX Geoff
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Will an '87 piston work in a '83 200 ?

Post by KDX Geoff »

My 200 has had the barrel sleeved out to 72.5mm from the standard 66mm.

I found a piston (out of a later model 240cc conversion) where the main measurements were right other than the skirt length so l took off the extra 6 odd mm and matched the profile of the piston that came out. It wasn't pull the old piston out and put the new one in.

If your bike has a standard 66mm bore, buy this Wossner piston and check the ring pin location in your barrel and fit it or get some help if you need too :grin: Much easier than converting to 240cc.

mjlovejoy4

Post by mjlovejoy4 »

KDX Geoff wrote:My 200 has had the barrel sleeved out to 72.5mm from the standard 66mm.

I found a piston (out of a later model 240cc conversion) where the main measurements were right other than the skirt length so l took off the extra 6 odd mm and matched the profile of the piston that came out. It wasn't pull the old piston out and put the new one in.

If your bike has a standard 66mm bore, buy this Wossner piston and check the ring pin location in your barrel and fit it or get some help if you need too :grin: Much easier than converting to 240cc.

I guess when the time comes I'll have to find some help here in South East Oklahoma I've never worked on a dirt bike but I really like this bike and want to keep it around a good long time. If anyone is around this area I would be happy to drive a bit to get this bike in top shape. Everyone I've talked to around here just says I'm out of luck

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Pukwudgie

Post by Pukwudgie »

Can anyone confirm that they've fit and run a Wossner '86-'06 in a '83-'85 jug? I'm researching the topic and there are conflicting takes on whether you need to modify the piston skirts and, or if there is interference between rings and ports etc. Its also been stated there is added head clearance which would lead to lower compression would it not? If anyone could share experience fitting one of these would be great. Thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. Thanks for joining us and participating.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128