Flywheel magnet source

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
nedrowjoe

Flywheel magnet source

Post by nedrowjoe »

I know I'm new here, but after discovering the issue of the older kdxs losing their flywheel magnets, I was wondering if anyone has tried to contact a magnet producer to replicate the magnets? remanufacture these flywheel that are going OEM NOS for like 3 or 4 hundred. I mean it would take a good cleaning, may be a sandblaster, and some good epoxy or resin. Build a jig for the magnet placement and propper voids. Filling in the voids from the get go, as an improvement on the original design.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Flywheel magnet source

Post by KDXGarage »

You know there is a guy on here that works on them, right?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

Fredette racing products has the magnets, rebuilds the flywheels, mods the stators. Does everything. There is nobody better for this bike.
nedrowjoe

Post by nedrowjoe »

Yeah, I'm sure freddete wants a mint for 2 dollar magnets though. I understand he is the best, but I've never been able to afford the best anything, hence why I have to 1986 and 87 dirtbikes. I'm talking to a magnet manufacturer right now actually. They make all kinds of arc magnets, specifically for flywheels. Competition is good for business. If I can sell magnets I have sourced for a lot cheaper than freddete I Will. If I can get people to send me in their flywheels and I make a repair on magnets at a decent profit, I will. The gentleman I talked to said these type magnets are a dollar or 2, or less. In my head the scenario is this: guy a has a flywheel magnet let loose, he can send it to freddete for a couple hundred, or try to clock his ignition for a newer kdx flywheel, or I figure this out and the guy a sends me his flywheel, I clean it up, fix the magnets And charge him like 50 bucks plus shipping. Now the magnets are new, the bike will spark as strong as it did off the showroom. I make a little change for the labor and guy a has a flywheel as good as a NOS 400 dollar flywheel. If you can't tell I become obsessed with fixing things myself.
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

You have a good point. Good luck to you.
nedrowjoe

Post by nedrowjoe »

I have some limited experience with charging systems and have been looking for a niche to focus on in fixing old bikes. I thought maybe buying old bikes fixing them up and selling them as a whole would be a good idea. Too many variables. I'm hoping I can figure this out and get my foot in the door doing quality work. Freddete seems to like to keep his lock on the market, can't say I blame him. His website is impossible to navigate for flywheel info. I'm sure he will not give up his source for the magnets. But I'm sure I'll figure it out somehow. There are probably millions of old bikes In the bonyard because of weak or broken flywheel magnets. Lots of guys to buy rebuilt stators from. Almost impossible to find anyone offering to repair or remanufacture flywheel magnets. As all these bikes age it will only become more in demand. Either someone like me figures this out or these bikes all die. Unfortunately magnets do weaken. Also I'm interested to learn about rare earth magnets. They are smaller, lighter, and more powerful. If I could figure that out, I may even have a niche in performance upgrades, because we all know that any weight saved directly off the flywheel equals hp gains.
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flywheel magnet source

Post by jeswinehart »

Just be sure to get polarities correct. Two north + two south polarities per flywheel.
You can install any which way araingement wise and have great spark,,,, just at wrong time. Placement is key.
N, S, N, S is correct . I use keyway as reference point.
Good research so far on a needed product !
Oh by the way,,, I charge 65.00 returned back to owner state side so your initial number amount is good IMO,,, very good.
mwoj
Supporting Member

Flywheel magnet source

Post by mwoj »

You would make a killing. Very good idea!
nedrowjoe

Post by nedrowjoe »

Using the keyway as reference was exactly my plan. I see that on the 86 through 88 The starting reference point would be about 1/4 inch or less advanced clockwise perpendicular (across from) to the keyway. And are you saying that as long as I go north, south, north, south in any combination it will spark correctly? Or say, for instance, the magnet that is most perpendicular or most directly across from the keyway would have to be specifically north or specifically south? Or does it not matter as long as if I start with that magnet first and it is north, the next magnet would have to be south? I hope I made my questions understandable.
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flywheel magnet source

Post by jeswinehart »

Yep, I understood and you have it correct.
Now I can not tell north from south to be honest. With tecate flywheels I use 1 magnet only to check the polarity,,, I use it the same way each and every time so I know which magnet push it away and which magnet pulls it.
I beleive I have a picture of that magnet and the diagram I use.
I am also very sure KX flywheels are exact same which I can check because I have 2 fly wheels in nice condition I purchased only because if needed I can remove those magnets and use in KXT flywheels.
But, I know it would be a crying are shame to take the KX flywheels apart since imo they are much harder to come across for reasonable.
I have about another hour in hobby room pulling parts we make then I'll check on kx polaritys
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flywheel magnet source

Post by jeswinehart »

Hopefully you have a complete flywheel so the "Speaciltiestach forever " magnet you might come to rely on (that is placed same side every time since front and back are two different polaritys ).
Attachments
20161031_203520.jpg
20161031_203520.jpg (797.01 KiB) Viewed 15950 times
20161031_203529.jpg
20161031_203529.jpg (748.58 KiB) Viewed 15950 times
20161031_203537.jpg
20161031_203537.jpg (753.97 KiB) Viewed 15950 times
20161031_203549.jpg
20161031_203549.jpg (721.03 KiB) Viewed 15950 times
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flywheel magnet source

Post by jeswinehart »

The green arrows on my paer towel drawings indicate keyway orientation ~ pointing to top.
nedrowjoe

Post by nedrowjoe »

nedrowjoe

Post by nedrowjoe »

Still haven't figured out how to directly upload pic, just the link. But here is a pic showing my busted 86. If you look it is a different orientation that your example of an 86. I described it as yours is, but mine is actually clocked counter clockwise 1/4 inch or so. Weird. I also checked with a refridgerator magnet and all 4 sides, what is left of one of them, pulled the magnet. But it looks like from your experience 2 of the magnets actually repel a magnet? Huh. And the one across from the keyway should pull the magnet, so the next clockwise should push, the next pull, the next push.
http://s834.photobucket.com/user/joedic ... sort=1&o=0
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flywheel magnet source

Post by jeswinehart »

I don't know man, your 86 and my 86 flywheels look to be exact same orientation to me ???
I'll have another look tomorrow,,,, perhaps I am not seeing what your seeing (?).
Heck, that flywheel is a heck of alot better then I normally get to work with ~ lol.
You may want to look for another magnet to use for testing,,,, now that you know the polarity lay out.
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flywheel magnet source

Post by jeswinehart »

It has been that nearly always on these flywheels it is 1 or both the magnets that "pull" that gets the most damage.
I have a few good push (not all in pic are usable ) and only 2 "pull" magnets I would use if I had to.
Attachments
20161031_211403.jpg
20161031_211403.jpg (834.99 KiB) Viewed 15943 times
nedrowjoe

Post by nedrowjoe »

I'm in no rush, I'll keep fiddling. And will look for a different magnet. I'm going to take pics and add your diagrams when I send the email to the magnet manufacturer I am in contact with to see what they say. As they specialize in magnets for flywheels. Good news is that I have a 2nd bike 1987 kdx200 that runs. So I'm assuming that flywheel is ok. I will be pulling it soon to compare and will upload some pics of that as well. I'll like to fill the voids in as some do, to provide a full arch effect for added insurance that, that one one let go after a few hours on a fresh top end. Thank you for the help and direction. I'll add to the post as soon as I get some info.
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jeswinehart »

Any word from your magnet guy ???
nedrowjoe

Post by nedrowjoe »

Yeah, unfortunately the magnets he has are smaller. He seems to think that I could combine 2 magnets and make it work as 1. Does that sound reasonable? More importantly the flywheel on my spare bike is freaking immaculate!! So excited. Should i still attempt to reinforce it. Also I have a lead on a good flywheel for an 86 kdx200 for a hell of a good deal. What could I fetch for a good flywheel here or on eBay? If I don't decide to keep it as an extra. Also would you have 1 magnet to spare? To sell obviously. But the bad flywheel has only 1 bad magnet. The other 3 are in pretty perfect shape. Thanks let me know.
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flywheel magnet source

Post by jeswinehart »

two magnets too make one,,, no.
Heck yes I recommend to encapsulate any glued in flywheel magnets on any thing using such a set up.
I just returned a KX flywheel the owner wanted the extra protection of encapsulation. That one has the magnets bolted in (as well as glued I'm sure).
I got my quote returned to me (as well as the flywheel I sent). Just not sure doing the initial investment if worth it. I do have a feeler of sorts out looking for interest (on a 3 wheeler site I mostly hang out on).
I don't see anywhere that fredette now sells flywheels let alone single or multiple magnets.
I believe they was sourcing from Ricky Stator (like every one dose ~ whoops ,,,, used to).
I'm coming up with a resale of 30 dollars per magnet no matter what polarity + 4 shipping stateside if I decide to go ahead with the quote.
No, I don't have any extra magnets I want to part with at this point in time. They are to valuable to me for repairing flywheels that are sent to me for refurb so I would be shooting my own foot to sell off what I have with no source for replacement (at this point in time).