1986 KDX200 Cheap Flywheel

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
chrisperrera

1986 KDX200 Cheap Flywheel

Post by chrisperrera »

Hello! This is my first post on KDXrider, and I hope I will help A LOT of people. I haven't been able to get around to making this post (probably been about a year-ish.. whoops :whistle: ) ANYWAY! It all started when my 86' kdx200 ended up revving too high and shut off. I found out that it was the flywheel magnets. The previous owner re-epoxied the magnets (I think, that or it was original) and they decided to come off and crush my coils up along with breaking beyond repair.. So like any other person I went online to find out how much one of these magneto rotors are.. found out that they only made them for three year models 86-88... also found out that it was impossible to find a used one on ebay... also found out that an OEM one cost around $400-500. I was 18 at the time and decided that I wasn't going to spend $450 on a little metal bowl with magnets :lol: So I lurked on the forums here for a little and found out that the Kawasaki Tecate 3 and 4 rotors fix on the bike, and they aren't too expensive for a new one because they made a bunch of them that no one bought ($150 brand new). I also found someone saying that the woodruff key hole is at a different location (that means that the timing is different). They also mentioned that you might be able to cut a new keyway to match the original one.
I hadn't found any real writeups or posts of people actually doing it though. Then I got enough balls to try it out. :supz: I bought $150 tecate 3/4 flywheel from Ricky Stator (also bought new ignition coil to replace the smashed up one). I got the flywheel and took it to multiple places and people said they could cut it due to it being a tapered shaft etc. Finally went to a CNC milling shop and had them line up the original and the new bowl (you line them up by the firing marks / timing marks) then "wire" out a new keyway at the original degree. They did it for $100, but you may find someone to do it cheaper. Here are some pictures of the bowls themselves in the posts below.

Here is a link to the Tecate 3/4 flywheel for $150 Part# RS100T3F
http://www.rickystator.com/product/kawa ... 4-flywheel

Last edited by chrisperrera on 10:15 pm Oct 22 2015, edited 1 time in total.
chrisperrera

Re: 1986 KDX200 Cheap Flywheel

Post by chrisperrera »

Original broken bowl compared to new cut bowl from Tecacte 3/4
chrisperrera

Post by chrisperrera »

Here is what the timing marks / firing marks look like. This is what you need to line the bowls up with. Line them up at 12 O'clock and compare the keyways, cut the location keyway on the original to the new one. (this can be done by stacking the bowls on each other both with marks at 12 o'clock and scratching a mark through the keyway or the center hole.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Great post!

Thank you for the write up. :bravo: :partyman: :supz: :prayer:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128