87 kdx electrical system help

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
persom55

Post by persom55 »

Hello everyone, just registered. I'm hoping you can help me with the electrical system on a kdx200 I recently picked up. It's an 84 frame with an 87 engine. As well as the original 84 engine minus cylinder.
I have the 87 stator set up as described here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mb20ecphl8kvv ... .jpeg?dl=0
as well as two 2 "2 wire" cdi's. One known working. Bad source coil. Does this set up use a3 magnet flywheel or a4 magnet? I have both and I'm not sure which to use
Or
I also have the earlier 84-86 ignition system with damaged source coils (again which flywheel should this use?)
I have found the source coil for the 84 quite cheap. However the only place I've found what I believe to be the right source coil for the 87 is Ricky stator and it costs $100 http://www.rickystator.com/product/stat ... coil-86-88
Is that the correct part?
I did notice that the e series bikes have a very similar stator set up however the source coil resistance specs are quite different. Would an e series coil work anyways? Or for that matter a coil out of an lt250r?
Thanks in advance for any help given, I'd like to get this thing moving under is own power soon :?
Rodeo

Re: 87 kdx electrical system help

Post by Rodeo »

I have an 86 KDX200. The flywheel is a 4 magnet. I ordered and installed that exact ignition stator that you mentioned from Ricky Stator. Although I have good spark now, I cannot get the bike to run. I believe its a timing issue. I can't say for sure if an E series stator coil would work. If the resistance values are different, I would stay with the 86-88 stator coil. The resistance value for an 86 should be around 60 ohms. I've compared 2 stator coils from running bikes and that's roughly the values I got. Hope this helps. :grin:
persom55

Post by persom55 »

Yeah I'm thinking I'm just going to run the earlier stator with 2 ignition coils since those are so much cheaper

On a side note, are you sure you bought the right source coil on yours though?
I was under the impression that all 86 models had 2 ignition source coils.a big one on the bottom with a thinner one stacked on it
Last edited by persom55 on 10:45 pm Sep 22 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: 87 kdx electrical system help

Post by Jaguar »

two ignition coils? (so then two high voltage wires going to 2 spark plugs?)
oh, I just now realized your mistake.
you are thinking of the stator coils and you called them ignition coils because they are part of the ignition system.
usually people call the high voltage coil the ignition coil.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
persom55

Post by persom55 »

Yeah sorry I meant to type ignition source coils