Timing issues??

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Rodeo

Timing issues??

Post by Rodeo »

Well now that I got spark on my 86 kdx200, I still can't seem to get it to run, let alone fire. The odd time it seems to "kick back" hard, almost like it's trying to run backwards?? Could it be timing related? It's got good compression, I've cleaned the tank and petcock, disassembled and cleaned the carb, no obvious air leaks.... I've got the stator plate lined up in the middle of the notches. I did notice what seems to be fuel dripping out of the exhaust connection on the motor. Possibly flooded?? Sparkplug is a b8es I believe. Could I have glued the magnets on the flywheel in the wrong position? It looked like they could only go one way. Does anyone have a pic of a 86 kdx200 flywheel for comparison?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Timing issues??

Post by Dekon »

Not sure, but if it is kicking back, sounds like a timing issue.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Timing issues??

Post by Jaguar »

magnets backwards or the stator coil is not original and was wound the wrong way. or wiring is backwards between stator coil and CDI.
that is only if you are correct about the assumption that the timing is off.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Timing issues??

Post by Slick_Nick »

Pull the flywheel and make sure it's aligned properly.
'00 KDX 220R
Rodeo

Timing issues??

Post by Rodeo »

Slick_Nick wrote:Pull the flywheel and make sure it's aligned properly.
Pulled the flywheel, everything looks ok. I started thinking maybe it could be CDI related, so I put on a spare I had and still the same issue. There are timing marks on the flywheel. Do they line up anywhere on the case to check TDC? Just trying to figure out how to check timing. Thanks
Rodeo

Timing issues??

Post by Rodeo »

It's alive!....Finally! :supz: Long story short I checked and re-checked everything. Friend of mine lent me his spare "original kawasaki" ignition stator to eliminate the possibility that my new one was wound backwards. Still no change. Still had some major kickback. So much so that it sheared the woodruff key on the flywheel. (Partly my fault for not torquing the bolt) Luckily today my buddy dropped off an "E" series flywheel for me to try, so I modified my stator plate (Fredette mod) and installed. Bike started 2nd kick with light throttle.

So that's the story.... now I need to do some carb tuning. It won't idle. Seems to be running rich. If I shut the gas off, it will run great just before the carb runs out of fuel. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. My main is 320, pilot 35 and the clip is on the last notch on the needle. (Should it be in the middle?) I'm not too familiar with carb tuning. No air leaks, reeds look good, compression is great.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

put the clip at the highest position
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Rodeo

Post by Rodeo »

Jaguar wrote:put the clip at the highest position
By putting the clip on the "highest position",, does that mean putting the clip closer to the tip of the needle or further away? Sorry, not too familiar...

The way the clip is now, the needle is going further into the carb. From what I've been reading I think that means lean. If you want richer, you adjust the needle higher. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also the needle is only for top end power, right? The pilot is more for low speed?
Rodeo

Post by Rodeo »

Jaguar wrote:put the clip at the highest position
By putting the clip on the "highest position",, does that mean putting the clip closer to the tip of the needle or further away? Sorry, not too familiar...

The way the clip is now, the needle is going further into the carb. From what I've been reading I think that means lean. If you want richer, you adjust the needle higher. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also the needle is only for top end power, right? The pilot is more for low speed?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

If you live in Australia does high mean low?
High, no matter where you live, always means up when in reference to a physical position.
Is the tip of the needle up? No. So why would you think that in this, or in any other parallel universe, that high would be low?
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Easy!

The clip position is usually referred to as #1 to #5. #1 clip position is the top position which is the leanest position because it lowers the needle the most. #5 is the bottom clip which is the most rich because it raises the needle allowing more fuel to flow.

Pilot is low throttle input while the main jet is the opposite from about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle up to full throttle. The needle and clip position is the meat of the power between the other to jets. It's where most mere mortals spend the majority of time.

You may want to read through the jetting tutorial on this site. Lots of jetting information.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Rodeo

Post by Rodeo »

G22inSC wrote:Easy!

The clip position is usually referred to as #1 to #5. #1 clip position is the top position which is the leanest position because it lowers the needle the most. #5 is the bottom clip which is the most rich because it raises the needle allowing more fuel to flow.

Pilot is low throttle input while the main jet is the opposite from about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle up to full throttle. The needle and clip position is the meat of the power between the other to jets. It's where most mere mortals spend the majority of time.

You may want to read through the jetting tutorial on this site. Lots of jetting information.
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know!