1986 KDX "no spark"

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Rodeo

1986 KDX "no spark"

Post by Rodeo »

Picked up a 1986 KDX200 last week that has no spark. After doing some research here and finding lots of useful info it looks like my stator is bad. I ordered one from Ricky Stator last night and can't wait for it to come. A couple questions I have are: should i get a Tecate flywheel too? The original flywheel looks in decent shape. The magnets look like they were epoxied at some point, but from what I've read the Tecate seems like the way to go. My second question: Is it possible to rewind your ignition stator yourself? I read a "how-to" on how to rewind your lighting coil but haven't seen anything on the ignition coil. Thanks in advance! :)
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: 1986 KDX "no spark"

Post by Jaguar »

you'd have to make something to help you wrap the wire around for hundreds if not thousands of time. not really an easy project but not impossible.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Rodeo

1986 KDX "no spark"

Post by Rodeo »

Well.... things have just gone from bad to worse :toimonster: it actually started out good when I found out my stator arrived today. Installed it as soon as I got home from work, put the flywheel back on and gave it a quick kick to check for spark.... Nothing.... tried again and quickly realized something else is going on that didn't seem right. I decided to turn the flywheel by hand and noticed that the magnets were rubbing on the stator. I'm starting to think I have a flywheel issue now. I noticed some rub marks on the magnets when I first removed the flywheel but it looked like the lighting coil was rubbing at some point so I eliminated it. The magnets were epoxied at some point, could they have been glued wrong? At this point I'm at a loss. Wondering if I should start looking for a flywheel... :roll:
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

check and see if the crankshaft is wobbly. that would permit contact.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Rodeo

Post by Rodeo »

Jaguar wrote:check and see if the crankshaft is wobbly. that would permit contact.
Hmmm.... That's a good idea, thanks. I'm definitely going to have to check that after work. I'll post my findings later.
Rodeo

Post by Rodeo »

Checked the runout of the crank and it's perfect. Took a closer look at the flywheel. Scraped of the excess epoxy and noticed that the magnets are not completely flat against the walls of the flywheel. There is a slight gap on the top edge causing them to rub against the stator. I need to somehow get them off without doing anymore damage. Would heating up the flywheel with a propane torch be ok? Also would it be possible that the magnets were installed upside down? If so, would that cause issues? Thanks
Rodeo

1986 KDX "no spark"

Post by Rodeo »

Definitely found a problem with the flywheel. Whoever glued the magnets back on didn't install them properly and used a s**t load of epoxy! The magnets were installed on top of the flywheel indents causing them to be too low and on an angle which rubbed against my stator. Warrmed up the flywheel with a propane torch and the magnets came right off. Cleaned all the old glue off and put the magnets back on with a little JB weld. Gonna try and get it back together tonight. At this point even a tiny spark would make me happy! lol :please:
KDX Geoff
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

1986 KDX "no spark"

Post by KDX Geoff »

I had a loose magnet with minor damage that l repaired. The thickness of the adhesive would only be a few thou.

This is what l used. Although its a gasket material, its an excellent adhesive that's strong but not brittle.

Rodeo

Post by Rodeo »

I've got spark! Can't wait to hear this thing running! :supz:
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

1986 KDX "no spark"

Post by Dekon »

Good to see you got to the bottom of the problem.
chrisperrera

1986 KDX "no spark"

Post by chrisperrera »

Regarding the Tecate flywheel. This should help. http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 19&t=18524