250 B2 Air Cooled... Performance???

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Enduro_Mayhem

Post by Enduro_Mayhem »

Hello again KDX'ers.

I'm returning to the Forum after a lengthy absence, having sold my '94 220 (Jap market), for something red! Massive mistake, but too late for tears now.

I'm considering an air cooled 250 - B2 or slightly later, and wonder in terms of engine performance, if I can expect similar rip and snort to my 220. Obviously, with a drum brake set-up and lesser frame development, the ride/handling department will feel less 'together', but that's a price I'm willing to pay AS LONG AS the engine's up to the job.

Can anyone advise... I ride some really knarly and snotty woods stuff which the 220 tackled with ease - will a significantly older air cooled model provide a similar experience?

Peace!
Flyin' the Flag for Team Vintage
Enduro_Mayhem

Re: 250 B2 Air Cooled... Performance???

Post by Enduro_Mayhem »

Anyone able to help... ?
Flyin' the Flag for Team Vintage
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 250 B2 Air Cooled... Performance???

Post by KDXGarage »

I can't imagine that a 1983 or so model would give similar performance to a 220 model. With the power valves, it helps to make a broader range of power. That is besides brakes, suspension, ergonomics, etc.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I did a low-budget rebuild of an '83 KDX 250 a few years back and documented it in this thread. The link takes you to page five, where I give a pretty good ride report.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 2&start=80

With good jetting, I think the bike made decent power. Definitely not going to set the woods on fire, but good, usable, torquey snort. If you can get your bike into nice shape, it will be a very enjoyable bike. I should have rebuilt the shock and worked a little harder to get my front brake to work better. Alas, it's now gone. But not forgotten!

David Eckel