1993 KDX200 E Series Kips, In or Out?

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Somkid

1993 KDX200 E Series Kips, In or Out?

Post by Somkid »

Question specific to this series, earlier and later models seem to have different KIPs systems.

I have a 93 that has the 'foot' missing from the end of the governor shaft, so obviously Kips never operates. While I'm wailing to source and obtain the foot (13236-1190 out of production) I'd like to run the bike. pretty sure KIPS only comes in around 6k revs anyway so low speed woods riding would be ok.

Kips has been cleaned, rebuilt with some parts replaced and operates smoothly if I manually pull the rod on the side of the head in and out.

my question is should the rod (has the grooved wheel on the end) be IN or OUT for slow speed running ? system does not have a spring so I cant assume there is a default 'closed' position.

I realize technically the answer will be to look in the exhaust port and see what position the rod is in when Kips has 'closed' However, since I'm no 2T power valve expert, I don't know what closed looks like anyway! plus I'd have to dismantle again to do that.

Can anyone with the series bike give me a simple In or Out answer. Please don't answer if you have a different model.

Thanks