92 KDX200 no spark

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
opihiman911

92 KDX200 no spark

Post by opihiman911 »

I am the second owner of this 92 KDX 200 and have been running it no problems for almost 10 years now. On my last ride about an hour in riding wood trails I fouled a plug. 30 minutes later fouled another and then fouled my last plug about a half mile from my truck and had to get it towed back.

Getting back home I installed a new plug and checked spark and no spark at the plug. Disconnected the kill switch, no spark. At suggestion of friend who has a 94 KDX200 to replace the stator, did that with a Ricky stator, still no spark. Friend had a brand new coil and plug wire/book that we installed, no spark. We then started swapping out the CDI & lighting regulator from my friends working KDX and still no spark. My friend is a little hesitant of putting my old parts on his bike in fear of damaging his electrical system

One thing we couldn't find is how is the ignition system grounded? The bolt from CDI to steering frame is clean and no rust but the frame is still painted factory green from day 1, but I couldn't find any other ground to main frame. We checked wires looking for cracks or rubbed insulation and all looks good. So the bike now has a new stator, coil, spark plug wire & boot and new spark plug. Swapped out CDI & lighting regulator from a working bike.

I've searched and read all the posts I could find on here and tried all the suggestions. Unfortunately I'm pretty limited knowledge when it comes to electrical systems and diagnosis, but am good with following directions. Any suggestion on what I'm missing?

Thanks,
Opihi
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 92 KDX200 no spark

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Disconnect the kill switch and see if it works.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Maybe your pickup coil? Flywheel key?
Turn on the lighting and kick it and see if the lights are coming on.

You’ve been pretty thorough but sometimes electrical issues can be very frustrating.
opihiman911

Post by opihiman911 »

Thanks for the welcome. This is my second KDX and just love them, easy and fun to ride, good power all over, never a major problem I couldn't figure out till now.

I did disconnect the kill switch first thing. All my lighting system has been removed and taped up. I did swap the lighting regulator just because I could and may be shorting?? But nope. Flywheel looks good, minor surface rust, no cracks in it.

About the only thing never checked is the wire going from the outside flywheel cover to the coil. I guess I would just look for continuity to make sure wire is good.

Any ideas appreciated, if not its shop time and $$..........................................Opihi
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Pull the plug out and see if there is any spark at all, even a weak one.

Any chance someone plugged the wires together incorrectly?

You could sand the frame contact areas to be certain on ground.
opihiman911

Post by opihiman911 »

We have the plug out grounded to the head when we kick it over and see no spark. We have double checked the wire connections and they all match up. Only change was the ricky stator I had to email him and he gave me the different color wire hookup...........Opihi
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hmm. Sounds like you got the hookup all right. :-)
FlexingtonKY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by FlexingtonKY »

If all your parts are known to be good and in working order, that sounds like a wiring issue. If you have a multimeter electrical tester I can get you some resistance values to check on those parts. Are the magnets on the flywheel strong still and in place? Timing marks lined up on the plate the ignition pickup coil and lighting coil are mounted to?
FlexingtonKY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by FlexingtonKY »

Check this diagram
Attachments
20210515_231304.jpg
20210515_231304.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 2810 times