1990 KDX 200 Fork Rebuild

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
TenTerabyte

1990 KDX 200 Fork Rebuild

Post by TenTerabyte »

This is my first bike and the forks and shock need a rebuild. I have a service manual for the 89 and it is very unclear. I am trying to disassemble the forks and I just can't figure out how to get them apart. The manual says you have to use some special tool that you shove down to unscrew something. I tried small sockets on a really long extension to unscrew what looks like a nut at the bottom but I couldn't get that to work. I tried using a wide piece of steel to unscrew a large piece at the end of the outer tube but that wouldn't work. I already took the clip off the deal and tried to shock it off, but that didn't work. Am I missing something?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1990 KDX 200 Fork Rebuild

Post by KDXGarage »

The bottom piece is a 14 mm hex. The inside portion is a damper rod. It is a 30 mm 12 point, but 6 point is fine.

The tubes won't separate until after the damper rod is out.

For a homemade solution, some have out the springs in, put the cap back on, then turned the fork upside down to keep the damper rod from spinning.

Also, the end of a broom stick OR similar jammed in to keep the damper rod from spinning.

Welcome to kdxrider.net.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TenTerabyte

Post by TenTerabyte »

So do I need to keep the hex or the 12 point from turning? I then turn the Allen screw ate the bottom?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

From www.racetech.com, a great company:

That is a near copy of what is down in there. If you can weld a 30 mm nut onto a rod or pipe, then weld another pipe onto it to make a "T", then you will have a great tool.

The task is to keep the damper rod from spinning while one loosens the 14 mm hex head bolt from the bottom of the damper rod.

Don't forget to buy new crush washers to go under the bolts during reassembly. Buy new bushings also, as they were heavily worn before you started trying to pull them apart, which damages them anyway.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

I put the spring in and the cap on, then zipped an impact a few times on the hex in bottom to get it off.
I like turtles