Front hub compatibility?

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Spikejr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Front hub compatibility?

Post by Spikejr »

I'm researching whether or not a 1996 KX125 front hub is compatible with a 1993 setup. The reason is that SS109 has a front wheel for sale, and his wheel has a 96 KX 125 hub laced into the wheel. My concern is that the brake rotor would end up being a different size and therefore it wouldn't ride properly in a 1993 caliper. Or, the hub could be a different width? That would be problematic too...

I have found a couple of part numbers for the 93 hub and the 96 KX125 hub - seems the overall hub numbers are the same, but there are some differences after the hub number.

The 1993: DRUM-ASSY,FRONT BRAKE 41034-1219
The 1996: DRUM-ASSY,FRONT BRAKE 41034-1226

As a side note - I also found the price difference to be substantial. About $400 for the 93 hub, and roughly $250 for the 96 KX 125. :blink:

Here are the links to the 2 hubs:

1993 KDX 200 E5/E6: http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oempa ... x200-e5-e6

1996 KX 125: http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oempa ... /front-hub

I also did a check on the front brake rotors - same thing...they are close, but there are minor differences in the part numbers. Not sure if that means the rotors are cosmetically different - or the have different fitment (bolt pattern might not line up correctly on the hub) ...

Last - there are some differences in the wheel bearing numbers too...all this seems to me to be saying that they are substantially different...

Anyone have a better idea where I can look to determine if the hubs are not interchangeable? Hate to pass up on this without exhausting all possibilities....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Front hub compatibility?

Post by SS109 »

Measure the diameter of your axle where the bearings sit and see if frenche200 will measure the one I sent with the forks I sold him. If they're the same, it will work. Might have to make some custom spacers but that is easy enough.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Front hub compatibility?

Post by frenche200 »

SS109 wrote:Measure the diameter of your axle where the bearings sit and see if frenche200 will measure the one I sent with the forks I sold him.
Sorry, not at home for few days, but with the number of the bearing (6904) i have found these dimensione
20x37x9 (mm)
i'm French and I don't speak English very well, so, please, excuse me :)
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Front hub compatibility?

Post by 6 Riders »

KX wheels aren't compatible with the 93/94 KDX axles. If you can get the right bearings, you could do a swap. You would use the KDX inner bearing size and the KX outer bearing size. You'd probably need custom spacers, but I can't say I'm correct on that part. Oh, you'll also have to check that the brake rotor fits in the KDX brake.

Otherwise you're looking for a KDX wheel from any year 200/220, which would be easier to find and generally cheaper IMO.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

6 Riders wrote:KX wheels aren't compatible with the 93/94 KDX axles. If you can get the right bearings, you could do a swap. You would use the KDX inner bearing size and the KX outer bearing size. You'd probably need custom spacers, but I can't say I'm correct on that part. Oh, you'll also have to check that the brake rotor fits in the KDX brake.

Otherwise you're looking for a KDX wheel from any year 200/220, which would be easier to find and generally cheaper IMO.
The reason he's asking is that he's interested in the wheels from my bike which is stock KDX for the rear and '96 KX125 hub up front.
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Front hub compatibility?

Post by SS109 »

Just did some looking at the bearings.

Stock '93-'94 KDX bearing: 6202UG - 15 x 35 x 11mm (bore x diameter x thickness)
Stock '96 KX125 bearing: 69042RS - 20 x 37 x 9mm

So, you would need a bearing that is 15 x 37 x 9mm to convert the KX hub to the '93-'94 KDX axle. Surprisingly, they make a bearing with those specs! However, they are not a standard bearing stocked everywhere. If you have a bearing supply in your town you can probably have them order them for you.

These are all the same just different manufacturers.

SKF Model 98202
FAF 103K
FAG Model 98202
HOFF L15N
MRC 103S
NH 103A
RIV2 AE
'11 GasGas EC250R
Spikejr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Front hub compatibility?

Post by Spikejr »

SS109 wrote:Just did some looking at the bearings.

Stock '93-'94 KDX bearing: 6202UG - 15 x 35 x 11mm (bore x diameter x thickness)
Stock '96 KX125 bearing: 69042RS - 20 x 37 x 9mm

So, you would need a bearing that is 15 x 37 x 9mm to convert the KX hub to the '93-'94 KDX axle. Surprisingly, they make a bearing with those specs! However, they are not a standard bearing stocked everywhere. If you have a bearing supply in your town you can probably have them order them for you.

These are all the same just different manufacturers.

SKF Model 98202
FAF 103K
FAG Model 98202
HOFF L15N
MRC 103S
NH 103A
RIV2 AE
Appreciate frenche200 for the specs - and 6 riders for his thoughts as well. If I can get the set of wheels from ss109 with minimal pain that works for me. If it's going to require compromises in strength / integrity of the front end then I would have to pass up on the opportunity.

If I understand the specs correctly - a 15x37x9mm bearing would convert the hub to the 93 axle. However - wouldn't I want to try and find a 15x37x11mm bearing so I can avoid adding a 2mm spacer? Next question would be if that bearing is available...I'll have to search around for that as well - I don't mind sourcing the bearing via the internet - doesn't have to be local.

Once the bearing issue is solved - need to address the issue that 6 riders posted: The brake rotor needs to be compatible...I would assume a diameter / thickness check can be found? Thoughts on where to look?

I'm on the road for business right now myself...trying to get things organized and set up for a December build....thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and help!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Front hub compatibility?

Post by SS109 »

Spikejr wrote:Appreciate frenche200 for the specs - and 6 riders for his thoughts as well. If I can get the set of wheels from ss109 with minimal pain that works for me. If it's going to require compromises in strength / integrity of the front end then I would have to pass up on the opportunity.

If I understand the specs correctly - a 15x37x9mm bearing would convert the hub to the 93 axle. However - wouldn't I want to try and find a 15x37x11mm bearing so I can avoid adding a 2mm spacer? Next question would be if that bearing is available...I'll have to search around for that as well - I don't mind sourcing the bearing via the internet - doesn't have to be local.

Once the bearing issue is solved - need to address the issue that 6 riders posted: The brake rotor needs to be compatible...I would assume a diameter / thickness check can be found? Thoughts on where to look?

I'm on the road for business right now myself...trying to get things organized and set up for a December build....thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and help!
You don't want an 11mm thick bearing as there are lock rings that keep the bearings seated. Thicker bearings wouldn't allow you to install the locks. As for rotor thickness, they appear to be the same front and rear on my bike. Diameter, the KX125 rotor is 220mm. Just need to measure your stock rotor diameter.
'11 GasGas EC250R
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Seems to me that the bearing would be 15*37*11, the reasoning behind my thought is KX outer*KX width*KDX axle....
If the KDX rotor will bolt to the KX wheel (I do believe it does) then having spacers that set the wheel/disc in the right spot for a KDX caliper would be your biggest issue. I would also like to note that the KX RIM could be laced to the KDX hub. That method in itself would save you, possible, huge headaches.

I'm not trying to discourage, I just don't want you to find yourself in a BIND after buying the wheels. Consider the RIM swap.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Spikejr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Spikejr »

6 Riders wrote:Seems to me that the bearing would be 15*37*11, the reasoning behind my thought is KX outer*KX width*KDX axle....
If the KDX rotor will bolt to the KX wheel (I do believe it does) then having spacers that set the wheel/disc in the right spot for a KDX caliper would be your biggest issue. I would also like to note that the KX RIM could be laced to the KDX hub. That method in itself would save you, possible, huge headaches.

I'm not trying to discourage, I just don't want you to find yourself in a BIND after buying the wheels. Consider the RIM swap.
Appreciate the rotor measurements ss109 - I'll check those when I get home. And 6 riders brings up a good point - I've been so concerned about the bearings and rotor diameter that I haven't considered the rotor offset to ensure that it lines up correctly with the caliper. :rolleyes:

Another good point - my hub could be laced into the KX rim. That assumes that the spoke length would be the same for a KX / KDX hub to rim distance.

Starting to think I should have been quicker and bought the KX forks with the front wheel when you ss109 had them together! Lol...