Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

E Series Lowering Links (89-94)

Post by m0rie »

Found this over at DRN today:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showpost.p ... ostcount=1

Long story short OEM 2003 Suzuki V-STROM-1000 links will work with some minor modifications. They will end up lowering the bike about 1"

Koubu doesn't sell links for the 89-94 KDX's. The extended 95-06 KDX link they do sell is the same length as the stock 89-94 link (128mm) so they wouldn't lower the bike anymore than stock. The V-Strom links are 140mm and just need the 12mm hole bored out to 15mm. Nothing else should be needed.

Part Link:
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.co ... DL1000.asp

(Part #13) $13.95 each x 2 + shipping:
Last edited by m0rie on 11:02 am Nov 04 2005, edited 1 time in total.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Not being smart, but if you were going to buy some wouldn't you just buy them for a KDX or don't they make them or something ?? Just curious thats all. :mrgreen:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"I have a couple of minor complaints... The tailpipe has been "brushed" since the change (I'm also 200lbs), and I audibly heard the tire hit my fender twice on my last visit to the Paragon (I mainly do woods, rocks, and single track up there)

I think a heavier rear spring and maybe some minor tweaking (Including sliding the tubes up the triple clamp in front) will be perfect.

All in all, I strongly recommend this for our vertically, or at least inseam challanged friends out there in the ether!"

Thanks for the information, m0rie. I have read of the same problems before with lowering links. By problems, I mean the rear tire hitting the silencer and tire hitting the rear fender. I believe it also changes the rising rate ratio in the rear linkage. He should have already had a stiffer than stock shock spring, and going to one won't help on the tire hitting the silencer and rear fender.

All in all, I strongly recommend that anyone considering getting their bike's seat height decreased, check into getting travel limiters installed in the shock and forks. I believe it is the "correct way", but obviously not the only way.

Thanks,
Jason (STSARFPS member since 2005) (Save The Silencers And Rear Fenders Preservation Society)

Also, feel free to post a link over there to comments over here. :mrgreen: JUST messin' with ya. :prayer:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Also Maurice... I'd post the link to the part and get the general description of the part instead of posting a link to DRN. That post may disappear mysteriously at some point. :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Also Maurice... I'd post the link to the part and get the general description of the part instead of posting a link to DRN. That post may disappear mysteriously at some point. :?
*edit* I updated the original post with the rest of the important info incase the DRN post vanishes.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Quoted from DRN>

INFO: Lowering Links for a '88-'94 KDX 200
I was interested in lowering links for my 94 KDX 200 and of course got in touch with Mr. Kouba.

Unfortunately the very nice Mr. Kouba had bad news for me. They do not make a Koubalink for the 1994 and earlier models. My buddy had just purchased a 2001 220 and had a spare set he was willing to part with, and I turned back to the man to get his opinion. He confirmed that the lowering links for the more contemporary bike would be the same length (128mm) as mine had stock, and since that was the longest link he manufactured for a KDX it would do nothing for me.

I was dissapointed but thought, I've been riding it this tall for two seasons, may as well stick with it, until I got a second email from him with an idea! He suggested that I order a set of stock links from a 2003 Suzuki V-STROM-1000 (DL1000)
and bore the holes out to 15mm. A Street bike? A Crotch rocket?? "A SUZUKI???!" "Yes!" he said "They are exactly 140mm and have smaller holes, but easily bored from 12mm to 15 on any standard drill press! Not only that, they are the same thickness as a stock KDX dogbone, so I should be golden!

I called up Bike bandit and had a set ( I think about $40 bucks) shipped right away.

Took the links to my local bike shop since I dont have a press, and for $5 he had them bored out for me.

Got them back from him and 30 minutes later..voila! I can now sit on the seat (I am 5'9 with a 29" inseam) with my feet nearly FLAT on the floor. They lowered the back of my bike about 1". Very nice.

I have a couple of minor complaints... The tailpipe has been "brushed" since the change (I'm also 200lbs), and I audibly heard the tire hit my fender twice on my last visit to the Paragon (I mainly do woods, rocks, and single track up there)

I think a heavier rear spring and maybe some minor tweaking (Including sliding the tubes up the triple clamp in front) will be perfect.

All in all, I strongly recommend this for our vertically, or at least inseam challanged friends out there in the ether!

Here is the link for the part.. (Part #13) $13.95 each x 2 + shipping:

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandi...name~DL1000.asp
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E