Frame Loops

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
DRoCksks

Frame Loops

Post by DRoCksks »

So after my first real ride on the KDX, I've noticed the frame loop gets in my way when shifting. I must have hit that left side loop 30 times instead of the shifter during down shifts. Does anyone else have this trouble? I know I just need seat time on the bike but it was terribly frustrating after a while. I may end up just cutting the left side loop off, unless that is completely stupid and I just need to learn to deal with it. What does everyone think? (It may already be broken/cut at the bottom, I'll have to check)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Frame Loops

Post by Julien D »

I find them extremely helpful in the event of a get-off. I would not remove either of them.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, especially if you run without a skid plate as most do, they are the only protection for that plastic flywheel cover. Sounds as if you either have size 14 feet or you're riding on your heels. You might also want to check the clocking of your shift lever (a photo would help). I wear size12 boots and have never hit the frame loop unintentionally.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

i kept hitting them til i stopped riding on my heels! move your feet back a little and youre golden.
2002 KDX 200
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

I ride with a size 14.5 fox comp boot (2 of em actually) and the only thing I hit during downshifts is the lever
so my guess is either bad footing, bend loops or bend (maybe wrong) shifter
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
DRoCksks

Frame Loops

Post by DRoCksks »

I could see myself riding on my heels... I'll check it out next time I ride. Also, a skid plate is in my future too.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Frame Loops

Post by rbates9 »

I don't have an E but with my H I found just the other day why they are a good thing to have. I was washing my bike after a ride and happened to notice that the skid plate was hanging down a couple of inches on the right rear. I looked closer and found it to be bent. Looked closer and found the front was bent up at the frame loop. The frame loop was bent up and ground down. It is a good thing the water pump was there to stop the loop from bending even more! :lol: The pipe had gouges in line with the ground down bolts on the water pump and the frame loop. I now have a slight coolant leak that I need to look at when I get a minute but if the frame loop was not there I know I would be in the market for a new water pump / side cover or more.

This was all caused but a slight lack of communication between my brain and my throttle that caused the bike to leap out from under me and find it's own way up the trail. I didn't even think it did anything to the bike but that was the only time she laid down in awhile.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I went riding Thursday and found that going from high speed straights to a sitting slow/tight turn, I often hit the ears with my toe. Doesn't bother me to much, I probably shouldn't be riding that fast in the trails out here anyways :twisted:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
patricktjms

Frame Loops

Post by patricktjms »

rbates9 wrote: This was all caused but a slight lack of communication between my brain and my throttle that caused the bike to leap out from under me and find it's own way up the trail.

Better known as "Whiskey Throttle".
Its not rocket surgery...
DRoCksks

Frame Loops

Post by DRoCksks »

I may have pulled a nice example of whiskey throttle on my first (only) time out with the KDX...my ribs said I did...

My plan is to pay good attention to foot placement on my next ride. Hopefully that will clear up the foot to loop issue.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Frame Loops

Post by 6 Riders »

DRoCksks wrote:I may have pulled a nice example of whiskey throttle on my first (only) time out with the KDX...my ribs said I did...
LMAO....It happened to me my first time on the KDX too.....watched her bounce off of a tree...front tire about 7' off the ground, me laying on my back.....unable to breath....it was a good ride, although short.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
DRoCksks

Frame Loops

Post by DRoCksks »

I was lucky, I only bounced the bike off a small group of little trees...inch diameter or so. I then took a small break and rode for 3 more hours. Not too bad I guess but definately felt it for a few days. It is nice to ride in Iowa too, no rocks to deal with around there.