standing help?

Have a question about technique?
alistair

standing help?

Post by alistair »

when accelerating across paddocks/uphills and whatnot,should you be in a "neutral"(i dont mean neutral as in the middle of the bike,but as in leaning forward enough to equalise the force pushing you back over the bike,if you know what i mean)sort of position were you arent holding your self forward with your arms?

probaly dosent help me being 6'6,and you know how they say hang on with your knees,my knees are above the seat...

no pic's of me standing and riding.

cheers.
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

You look like your riding a kx 80 :lol:
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

Rich Lafferty is from a well known family of offroad racers here in the US.

This guy has a web site made for your questions. http://www.rlafferty.com I took one of his classes and his website is great for training on the basics. He will also answer your e-mails directly as well if you ask.

What class do you race your KDX in?

From my 1.75 years into racing woods courses, I stand almost as much as I sit. For uphills, I lean forward grab the tank with my knees and steer a good bit with the pegs. My face is over the headlight.

This video is from our series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHHRp86Vl-g

My bike after that race...

Hope these help.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
alistair

Post by alistair »

>|<>QBB<
muddertrucker wrote:You look like your riding a kx 80 :lol:
i feel like it sometimes..
What class do you race your KDX in?
i race in the intermediate under/under 25/overall.
this is that race
im in the second row of the senior event,the only time i saw myself was at 5.56 i think :supz:

i try to get my self forward,but i end up holding myself their with my arms. as i find i still slip around with my legs clamped on aswell??
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I have slowly been learning how to stand. It's easy to stand going in a straight line over whoops, but I have been re-training myself to stand about half the time - even in some turns - that is taking some practice.

I decided to do this after reading some tips and watching some of the pros do it. When I ride with my 7 and 9 year olds I go at their speed. I decided I would use that time to try to improve my technique and pick up some new riding skills since I was going to be riding around all day at half speed anyway. When I follow them I try to stand 100% of the time. It has really helped me a lot.

I'm not quite to the point yet where I can go through turns full speed while standing up, but I'm getting closer. I'm really starting to like standing.

I do ride standing up and leaning way forward sometimes with my head over the front fender - is this what you are talking about?. I tried this after reading something some pro wrote about it - maybe it was Lafferty. I am also starting to use my legs to grip and control my bike more.
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

I don't think I need it personally but hear it helps some people out is that clear semi-tacky label that helps you grip the tank with your legs. Anyone use that product with any luck?
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
paceyman wrote:I don't think I need it personally but hear it helps some people out is that clear semi-tacky label that helps you grip the tank with your legs. Anyone use that product with any luck?
I'm thinking about trying some. Ride PG has grippy shroud graphics. I can still grip pretty good on my hybrid, but on my friend's KTM200 the shrouds seem to flare out more which makes them harder to grip with my knees. I would definately get them if I had his bike.
alistair

Post by alistair »

true,i have seen that stuff.Im trying to not spend money as i want to (regretfuly :sad: ) buy a kx250 january next year and mod it a bit to suit my height better. :
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Alistair - I'm sort of guessing based on the pictures that you haven't added anything to raise your handlebar height.

My son rides an RM65 and he's beginning to outgrow it, ready for an 85 very soon. He can wail on that little RM which is a good reason to keep it, but he ended up sorta stooping over the handlebars while standing so . . . he didn't stand much which is important both in the woods and on an mx track. I bought him some bar risers and they made all the difference in the world. Check these out, they're $20 and can add up to approx 1&1/2 inches . . .

http://www.rockymountainmc.com/productD ... lyId=12976
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
alistair

Post by alistair »

i have universal 7/8 to 1 1/8 adapters that raise the bars a bit,and the mounts rotated to the further forward spot
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

alistair

Post by alistair »

i found another photo,and going by this i need to be further forward i think...
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
alistair wrote:i found another photo,and going by this i need to be further forward i think...
Once again I'm no pro rider, but I think your stance depends on what kind of terrain your going over at that particular moment. Watch some pros ride on Youtube and copy them.

Does anyone have a membership to the Rich Lafferty site mentioned above? Those video clips look like they may be pretty good. I like how he blazed up that sand hill with the front wheel off the ground. Sand has always given me the fits.
alistair

Post by alistair »

i agree with the changeing your stance for the terrain.ill work on it slowly. :supz:
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

rompnstomp

Re: standing help?

Post by rompnstomp »

Butt back whether sitting or standing and let your core keep your head and upper body forward and your weight over the pegs. Try to modulate the amount of weight forward/aft using your core, so your head, shoulders and arms stay in the same position. Correct in that your arms should only be concerned with operating the controls, not "hanging on". You "hang on" by keeping your weight properly distributed through contact with the pegs and with your calves (in your case) gripping the seat.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
rompnstomp wrote:with your calves (in your case) gripping the seat.
That's funny. He looks like David Knight towering over that bike.
alistair

Post by alistair »

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:>|<>QBB<
if only i could ride like him too.im raceing a 2hr cross country otomorw,il see what i can do
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:>|<>QBB<
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. The Knighter is on here having a bit of fun with us. :grin:

Anyway, I've always had trouble with standing also. But with the KDX's forward bar setting I'm finding the "fit" making it easier to keep my position forward over the bar without feeling like I'm about to go over the front, onto the ground, at any moment. It's going to take a lot of practice I can see (and maybe some Stomp Grip tank pads) to get completely comfortable with it. I'm trying to use my heels, calves, and knees to hold the bike and my upper body/core to move my weight center around the bike.
But, I am noticing a positive "snowball" effect in that, the more I stand the more comfortable it feels , and the more comfortable it feels the more I stand.
75% mental, 25% physical. :wink:
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
alistair

Post by alistair »

ive now changed bikes,to a 2008 rm250 and find it easier to ride and stand up on,to be honest.
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

Sluggo

Post by Sluggo »

It's amazing how some bikes just fit better. You can try all kinds of stuff to modify a bike to fit you and still feel funky. The first time I rode my KDX 200 it felt heavy and tall for me. I'm 5'8" 145 lbs. I put a Kouba link on it and it feels better. Still heavy though. I wish they made a bike in between the KDX and say a KX 100. My son has a KX 100 and it's fun to ride but too cramped.

As far as standing or sitting, I stand at the start of an ride but before long I'm spent and on the seat. Trying to keep up with my 15 year old in an enduro last weekend liked to kill me. Thankfully there are resets! This 50 year old needs to get in shape.
curtisa

Post by curtisa »

Based on your pic you need to get farther forward. If your standing while climbing and your arms are getting tense or tired then you're too far back. Set your bar position while standing not sitting. Most riders are too far back sitting and standing. In most cases your chin should be over the bars.