Rocks...why did it have to be rocks...?

Have a question about technique?
Wazowski

Rocks...why did it have to be rocks...?

Post by Wazowski »

Man we got into a rock pile a few weekends ago at Brown's camp. Baseball size all the way up to boulders. Some were covered with clay, most were bare and dry but moving like marbles. I did not have a good time...

You'd think by the time I was done I'd been an expert on rocks but they beat the hell out of me...and I was going slow.

What's the best way to negotiate 2 man carry rocks? Stand? I sat as much as possible so I could tiptoe my way through but sometimes my legs got too short...especially going down hill.

Any suggestions?
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

I was there and I think he just needed to keep his speed up. In my experience momentum is key to most difficult obstacles... especially rocks. I was not a friendly climb, but not impossible. My cousin and I made the run on the first attempt.

Waz,
I would say keep your weight forward, your legs out behind you for more rear tire bite and stay on the pipe. :D
But, what do I know... I'm just your kid. :roll:
==05 KDX220R==
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
xagentman wrote:I was there and I think he just needed to keep his speed up. In my experience momentum is key to most difficult obstacles... especially rocks. I was not a friendly climb, but not impossible. My cousin and I made the run on the first attempt.

Waz,
I would say keep your weight forward, your legs out behind you for more rear tire bite and stay on the pipe. :D
But, what do I know... I'm just your kid. :roll:
Well that was just the one hill on Fire Break 5. I took the wrong line and by the time I had gotten further up the climb and needed to carry the bike over to the good side I was too pooped to finish the run. THEN I had to WALK UP the the rest of the way further killing by bod!

I'm talking about the loose rock later down that long steep grade That the boys in the 4 by's were trying to get up!

And that down grade just past the pretty view of the mountains...

And the boulder laden canyon that we first rode down...that we had to ride back OUT of...

I could think of a few more if you like...

Anyway "keeping on the pipe" means riding faster then I may be capable... :kick:

"When 900 years old you are..look as good you will not!

Waz(yoda)wski
Last edited by Wazowski on 10:24 pm Sep 13 2007, edited 1 time in total.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Speed, seriously it helps. Standing up also helps because it makes you go faster and you have better control over the bike. We have some trails like that in the area and I hate them. One trail in particular is basketball size rocks for about 2 miles going uphill. It's horrible, no matter what bike your own. Throw in the rock ledges every 100ft that you have to wheelie up and your tired when you get to the top.

I also had the misfortune of crashing on it last weekend. Riding my stiff front end 450 and front end deflected off a large rock and I went end over bars...right into a car sized boulder. I thought for sure I had broken my wrist, it was so incredibly painful. On top of that I pulled my quad muscle trying to start the bike! lol One of the worst rides home I think I've ever done...
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:basketball size rocks for about 2 miles going uphill. It's horrible, no matter what bike your own. Throw in the rock ledges every 100ft that you have to wheelie up and your tired when you get to the top.
Man I would LOVE to have a trail like that to ride! Do you know how many legal trail riding places there are in my area of NY? ZERO. You have to travel 2 hours and go out of state to hit a place to ride. Man I wished I lived out west someyimes :)
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:basketball size rocks for about 2 miles going uphill. It's horrible, no matter what bike your own. Throw in the rock ledges every 100ft that you have to wheelie up and your tired when you get to the top.
Man I would LOVE to have a trail like that to ride! Do you know how many legal trail riding places there are in my area of NY? ZERO. You have to travel 2 hours and go out of state to hit a place to ride. Man I wished I lived out west someyimes :)
One man's trash...

I wish you had some good trails to ride too...

Waz
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
Ya know what? I ride from my house! Too bad in September 2009 all but 24miles of ST will be closed. 24 miles in one of the largest countys in the United States! Total bull.

Here are some videos of the riding above my house:
http://coconinotrailriders.org/d_01_videos.html

One day I'll get a helmet camera and show you my favorite trails.
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I only watched one of the movies and got so excited. I want to ride a trail like that! I watched "A Rock or Two." I will watch the others when I have more time.
:supz:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:>|<>QBB<
Ya know what? I ride from my house! Too bad in September 2009 all but 24miles of ST will be closed. 24 miles in one of the largest countys in the United States! Total bull.

Here are some videos of the riding above my house:
http://coconinotrailriders.org/d_01_videos.html

One day I'll get a helmet camera and show you my favorite trails.
yea we can ride from our houses too. Ron means if we want any really tough stuff we have to truck it.
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:Speed, seriously it helps. Standing up also helps because it makes you go faster and you have better control over the bike. We have some trails like that in the area and I hate them. One trail in particular is basketball size rocks for about 2 miles going uphill. It's horrible, no matter what bike your own. Throw in the rock ledges every 100ft that you have to wheelie up and your tired when you get to the top.

I also had the misfortune of crashing on it last weekend. Riding my stiff front end 450 and front end deflected off a large rock and I went end over bars...right into a car sized boulder. I thought for sure I had broken my wrist, it was so incredibly painful. On top of that I pulled my quad muscle trying to start the bike! lol One of the worst rides home I think I've ever done...
Sorry to hear about your crash...not a matter of if but when.

I only went down once...just kinda fell over trying to turn around. Can't even brag about it cuz it was a dumb reason for going down. I'm getting better, more confident and then...rocks...everywhere. I could have gone down numerous times but managed to stay upright. No fun though.

Anyway so keep my speed up huh? (Yes son you're very smart) and stand up for better control? I actually thought of that once. Guess I should trust my instincts. Let the suspension do the work.

I could respring my front forks as I am on the high side of 250 and it might be part of my problem just in general. Not that it's a rough ride but I have control problems up front just on tight trails. Cheaper just to loose the weight but much less likely happen!

Still wouldn't it just be easier to avoid riding through rocks?

Waz
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

*sigh*

:roll:
==05 KDX220R==
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Don't mean to change the thread but to those concerned about the closing of trails you need to get involved with the BRC and either join or form an local trial riders group. Even with the BRC in our state we are still losing trails due to environmental groups and idiot bike and ATV riders. Don't complain about losing trails if you have done nothing in an attempt to keep them open. The support organizations need your voice and money to fight!!!

Blue Ribboon Coalition take a look at http://www.sharetrails.org
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Brian (forgot his last name) flew in and came to one of our meetings with the FS. We've been supporting them since day one. I've been apart of CTR (coconino trail riders) since the week I bought my KDX. I really want my forests to stay open!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
xagentman wrote:

*sigh*

:roll:
It..................was.............a..............JOKE! :butthead:

Sheesh! Tough crowd....