Just a few comments....

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Just a few comments....

Post by Indawoods »

I have been running a 13/47 combo which is really not all that woods friendly.
I just ordered a 12T for the front. While this will get me through the season, I feel a 48 or 49 rear would set me righteous.

I really don't want a 50 due to clearance problems and think a 49 is a good compromise.

I may need a longer chain since I am running a 108 link. Anyone know if I will need a 110?

Thanks!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'm running 13/49 with a 110 chain. I ends up near its adjusting limit though. I'm going to have to cut it to 108 and slide the wheel forward soon if this chain stretches anymore. I'm really not sure if a 108 will work. I'll have to try it.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Running 12/47(3.92) is equivilant to running 13/51(3.92). I changed to 13/50(3.85) and always run a 110/100 tire. This makes the ratio closer to 13/49(3.76) because of the tire size difference. I tried 12/47 first and ended up shifting all the time. For me it made 2nd too low and third too high in the tight stuff. First was all but worthless. However, in your case (running the KDX200) you have much more engine overrev. Running the 12/47 combo will give you a good idea of where you really want to be compared to the stock gearing.

If you change to 13/50 you'll need to go to a 110 link chain. I haven't had any clearance problems with this combo. I destroyed the stock chain guide and put on the FRP guide. It has worked flawless. Speaking of chains, the O-ring and X-ring chians are great but they tend to noticably zap power from the 200. Since my 220 came with an O-ring, I'll be curious to see how it changes running a good non O-ring chain next time.

Happy expiramenting Vince!

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I agree with Robb. For the low price of a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket, you can tell what you will need in the rear. I use stock rear tooth count and a 12 tooth CS. First is only used on the steepest of hills or for walking the bike out of trouble. Third seems tall compared to 2nd but if you work at it, 3rd will make you a faster rider as you try to stay on the powerband and not lug it or down shift. I'm now running most of my 2nd gear trails in 3rd due to this. My co-riders claim I've really picked up my pace, but really, all I'm doing is just keeping the bike from dropping out of the power curve.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Turns out... I am running a 48 Talon sprocket on the rear. :neutral:

I just put the 12T on so this gives me like a 4.00 ratio. Equivalent to a 13/51... You guys think this is too short?

I am going to test it in two weeks at South Fork before the LBL ride to see if this is what I want. Just seems a little short to me....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't know the terrain you run in Inda, but if it's at all technical, then you probably aren't using the top gear much, if at all any way. And if you don't use all the gears, then I think the bike is geared too tall. I'm running a stock rear and 12T front and can get well over 65mph. How much more? I don't know. The throttle still gives a healthy thrust at that speed, but I'm way to chicken to ride my KDX faster than that. Loose something like a chain and it's all over.

Let us know what you think of the combo too!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... getting back to this tread finally. The 12/48 drove me crazy...2nd was too short and third was too tall most of the time. I have been talking to Robb about that Funky Z-sprocket and a new 13 counter. I think maybe a 13/49 will get me there, or do you think I outta go with the 50? I'm undecided at this point. But I know I don't want the 12.

I like that Tri-Metal sprocket and it has great reviews too but it takes some serious ching to get one of those! :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Tri-Metals are now sold directly from the factory for $79. That's about $60 off the local shop price of about $130.

Look in the latest Dirt Rider magazine for their ad. If you can't find it, let me know. I'll look it up and post it. I got one for the KX and I've been running one on the KDX since I bought the bike. The chain and sprocket are as good as the brand new one I put on the KX.
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the report on the 12 tooth.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Tri-Metal Sprockets

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/

Looks like a PITA to order one from em though.... :mad:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I should clarify my previous post. I ran the 12/47 combo with the 100/100-18 tire. I definitely didn't like that. 13/50 has worked well with the 110/100 -18 tire(~6% larger than the 100/100).

Vince, I think you'll like 13/49 combo if you didn't like the 12/47. 13/50 is real close to the 12/47 combo. Again, I love the 13/50 combo in the tight stuff. 2nd will climb almost anything and 3rd is right there--no gap. :mrgreen: My only complaint is the 6th gear jeep roads and sand washes. 13/47 would be nice there! :wink:

Those Tri-metal sprockets are cool. So are the Ironman Sprockets. But, man they are proud of them. I can change sprockets 3 times with good quality JT steel sprockets for the price of one set of those "cool" sprockets. I'm all for exceptional quality, however, I'm not convinced that the price of these are worth the value. :neutral:

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda,
All I did was call the phone #: (630)513-1000 and in less than 5 minutes I was done and they ship overnite delivery.

Their ad is on page 195 of the November issue of Dirt Rider. Now, no excuses. It's the best sprocket out there, without exception.
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's part of the beauty of the Tri-Metal's...you don't have to change them... they hardly wear at all! Could possibly be the last sprocket you buy!

I have alot of irons in the fire right now to just call them and order. I got bids in on some high dollars stuff, well... at least for me. After I see how all that fairs, I will call em and see what I can do.
Thanks for your input guys! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Credit card bills take a month to come in and 2 more weeks before you need to send a payment. Then just open a new card account and transfer the balance for free and get another 30 days. See? No need to wait.

Hey, where'd the paypal donation button go???!!
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Credit? What's that? :shock:

The PayPal donation button is gone until they can figure out their policies and stick to them.

For now, if anyone want's to donate they can contact me for my address. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Ok, dumn question comming. What does a larger rear sproket accomplish? More torque or more speed?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

bigger rear, slower top speed but more torque. Opposite for the front.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

What is an ideal drive ratio for say tight woods and some open trail (higher speeds)? I'd like to work my way towards a good combo for some harescrambles. I was thinking maybe like a 12/49 combo.???????????

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm going 13/49... not quite full snail and should still have some topend.

You got one of those 220's though. :? :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

I think I have 13/49, too. Stock is 13/47, right?
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125