O-ring or not??

Got questions? We got answers....
Dallas Longhorn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

O-ring or not??

Post by Dallas Longhorn »

Hey guys, my '95 200 is in need of a chain after 15 years or so! That renthal held up well, but is looking a bit tired these days... Wondering if I should replace it with an o-ring chain as I only do desert riding, with a fair amount of sand. Running 13/48 and pretty happy with it....Thanks for your input!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I would go with one of the good quality X-ring chains. Less drag (allegedly) than a traditional O-ring chain yet supposedly seals out the bad stuff better. I have a new RK X-ring on it's way to me right now! Just make sure you replace the sprockets at the same time. Stick with steel sprockets as they should last about as long as your chain. I recommend Renthal for the CS and any cheap (JT, Primary Drive, etc) steel rear.

Oh, yeah, I run 13/48 gearing as well. It works pretty good for the desert riding I do.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Dallas Longhorn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Yes I do plan on new sprockets too but I read somewhere that you should stick with the same brand sprocket and chain... Could this be true??? Either way, thanks for the advice and Im on the hunt for the best x-ring chain deal I can find!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Nah, mixing and matching different brands is fine. I have done it for years with no problems on bikes way more powerful than the KDX.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Dallas Longhorn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Awesome thanks again. Funny thing, when I was cleaning out my shed this a.m., I just happen to find a Fredette Racing chain guide I bought by mistake in 1997 and had completely forgotten about! I believe I need it to upgrade to x or o-ring chain.... unfortunately it's blue... But I'm sure there's no exchanging it after 14 years so!!!! Thanks again and hope to get down to Marana and ride sometime!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Hey, come down anytime and we will tear it up! Where you located?

BTW, if you want to unload that Fredette guide let me know and I'll take it off your hands. I was planning buying one here real soon.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Dallas Longhorn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Sounds good, I'm in Gilbert.... probably gonna hang on to the chain guide but I'll let you know if plans change!