2020 front end swap for a 1989 KDX200

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
badlarry

fork swap 1989 badlarry

Post by badlarry »

Sorry to re post so late on this topic but I am too lazy to search for more at this time lol. I want to do a front end swap to make buying wheels etc easier as well as updating to a strong set of forks. I have a 1989 kdx that I semi restored and still needs the forks resprung and new seals, a brake caliper and master rebuild as well as steering head bearings, SO I'm wanting to do a front end swap. I have access to machinists at any time for free. What year Model and Year KX set up can I get that has the ability to have the stem machined down to accommodate the stock kdx bearings, and where will I need to add spacers, or possibly cut/shorten/lengthen then new stem? or is there a better way. seems like finding kx500 parts is hard enough to for a kx500 owner, $$$$$, so newer more common parts is probably cheaper in long run right?? Please someone help out I want to go for a rip.

Jim
badlarry

2020 front end swap for a 1989 KDX200

Post by badlarry »

Ok, so I don't necessarily mean 2020 parts. but that there has to be a model and year that has a stock stem that can be machined down to 1989 specs while maintaining or enhancing the current geometry then it is. I have many machinist friends and family. Seems to me that the easiest way to make it work is to just machine the new stem down to 89' specs and bolt the entire front end on the bike?? Am I oversimplifying things and forgetting something?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2020 front end swap for a 1989 KDX200

Post by KDXGarage »

I merged these two together.

No need to bring up an old thread and ask about the same thing in another thread you already had. Thanks.

What is your budget?

How modern are you wanting to get?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
badlarry

Post by badlarry »

My budget is pretty open, although, I would like to keep costs down. I would ultimately want a new front wheel and hub for aesthetics, either stock or billet triples, I would assume recycled stock front caliper and master . maybe updated front fender set up? don't really care as it is basically a trail bike. just don't want to rebuild stock as it needs everything forward of the head set. besides the fender and headlight. It has a good 7/8 bar set up on it so going to a bigger set up is not necessary but probably unavoidable I assume??

Thanks for helping
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Just swap the stems as it is much easier and cheaper than machining down a hollow stem that is going to lose a lot of it's strength due to said machining. Personally, and fork setup from '96 up from any KX125/250/250F/450F will be huge improvement over the stock forks. You'll just need RB's top clamp stem adapter, or machine your own, and it'll bolt right up. Just get the complete front end, forks, triples, wheel, and axle.

The '96 KX125/250 triples are for 7/8" bars.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The 1989 KDX200 front caliper won't mount to the KX caliper mount. You will need to get the KX caliper.

You can have the stem pressed out (down and out) of the 1989 KDX lower clamp, then have it installed in the KX clamp. If you get a late '90's KX clamps and forks, then the stem may have to be knurled. The OD of the stem is not the same as some KX stems. All KX two-strokes came with 7/8" bars stock.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128