Finally Doing Swap to 1997 KX250 Forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Finally Doing Swap to 1997 KX250 Forks

Post by GATOROC »

Luckily I was able to find a complete front end off of a '97 KX250 on Craigslist for $150, so I've been researching on what needs to be done to get this completed. I found a local Pro-Action Suspension shop here in Colorado Springs that will respring/revalve the forks for $300, and they will be setting it up primarily for trail riding and hare scrambles. They can also press out the stems/bearings and swap them over, so I may have them do that as well. After a lot of reading on the forum here I still am a little confused - is it ok to just reuse the lower 92116 bearing if it's in good shape, or do I need to buy a new one? They are $41 at RMATV and while I would like new, I also wouldn't mind saving that if I can just reuse the old bearing.

I also reached out to Ron today to see if he's still selling the upper steering stem spacer/bushing, and he is, so it looks like I will be picking up one of those. I've heard about using the KX stem nut, but I'd rather use the RB piece instead.

Hopefully the swap goes smoothly without too many issues. I really look forward to having some "newer" style forks without bottoming out over every jump. :grin:

Pic of the pieces/parts. I even got the guy to throw in the $50 13061-1692 KX kickstarter boss so that I can put a shorty 125 lever on it. :cool:

Image1997 KX250 Front End , on Flickr
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Finally Doing Swap to 1997 KX250 Forks

Post by kdxsully »

Not bad.
I like turtles
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Very nice. Considering what you will have in it I would kinda hate to reuse a potentially 23 year old bearing. If it looks to have been replaced and is truly in great condition I wouldn't be above it though. I've done worse things over the years, lol.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Yeah, I've already put a lot of money into this bike, so I don't think an additional $40 is going to hurt. Since I'm going to be keeping for a long time, I might as well do it right. Thanks for the input.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I would just replace the bearing and race. You could try a local bearing supplier and get a replacement a lot cheaper than RMATV.

Your going to love those forks! Had the same type on my '90 KDX and they were awesome off road.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

SS109 wrote: 06:57 pm Feb 18 2020 I would just replace the bearing and race. You could try a local bearing supplier and get a replacement a lot cheaper than RMATV.

Your going to love those forks! Had the same type on my '90 KDX and they were awesome off road.
Cool - I'll check around town to see if I can find the bearings. I've read a lot of your (and others) posts about how nice the updated forks are, and I'm really looking forward to this upgrade!
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

And now a word from the opposing view: :lol:

If your current KDX bearing is OK, then have whoever to install it on the KDX stem when whoever does the swap. I am NOT a fan of using a bearing from another KX / KDX on the race that is in the frame. I like to keep the race and bearing together.

On the stem, as best I can remember, Ron Black can "lathe down" the portion of the KDX stem that is a touch larger OD where the bearing would now go. The KDX lower clamp is thicker than the KX clamp (you have). This is going to make the very top portion that was fully inside the KDX lower clamp, stick up. There is athread on here somewhere that used to have an A-B picture comparison. I doubt everyone is doing that on stem swaps, so it must work without it, but it is one thing to consider.

Nice price, especially with the kickstarter knuckle!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I messaged Ron last week and haven't heard back. I sent another email so hopefully he gets it. I have a 01 KX250 front end for my 96 I want to get the stem swapped and the spacer. I can't wait to get mine finished. Looking forward to seeing yours finished.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

javjacob wrote: 10:49 pm Feb 18 2020 I messaged Ron last week and haven't heard back. I sent another email so hopefully he gets it. I have a 01 KX250 front end for my 96 I want to get the stem swapped and the spacer. I can't wait to get mine finished. Looking forward to seeing yours finished.
Ron responded to my email within a few hours, so I'm sure he will get back with you soon. I've been following your thread as well, and looks like you're making good progress.

I just dropped my forks off this morning to Pro-Action and while I was there I asked him again about his experience in doing stem swaps, and he said that he's done a lot of them. Since I've heard a bunch of stories on this forum where guys that were considered "professional" mechanics or machinists trying to press out the stem the wrong way, I showed him the clamp/stem and tested him on which way the stem gets pressed out, and he passed the test! :grin:

I also asked him about reusing the old bearings or going with new, and as I assumed, he said to go with new. Since just the lower bearings on RMATV are $41, I asked him if he recommended a place locally to get them cheaper as SS109 had suggested. He found a set (upper & lower) for $36, so he ordered them.

I should have the forks back next week sometime and will get the stems swapped out, but I still need to send Ron some cash for the stem spacer/bushing.

Todd
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

KDXGarage wrote: 08:42 pm Feb 18 2020 And now a word from the opposing view: :lol:

If your current KDX bearing is OK, then have whoever to install it on the KDX stem when whoever does the swap. I am NOT a fan of using a bearing from another KX / KDX on the race that is in the frame. I like to keep the race and bearing together.

On the stem, as best I can remember, Ron Black can "lathe down" the portion of the KDX stem that is a touch larger OD where the bearing would now go. The KDX lower clamp is thicker than the KX clamp (you have). This is going to make the very top portion that was fully inside the KDX lower clamp, stick up. There is athread on here somewhere that used to have an A-B picture comparison. I doubt everyone is doing that on stem swaps, so it must work without it, but it is one thing to consider.

Nice price, especially with the kickstarter knuckle!
I've decided to just suck it up and pay for new bearings/races. Heck, I just spent $100 for a damn Maier rear fender, so why skimp on something mechanical that actually matters! :wink: I'm also getting the spacer/bushing from Ron which is another $53. It's kinda funny - I've had my CRF450R for years now, and haven't put much work or money into it at all. I've had my KDX for less than a year now, and have spent A LOT of time and money to get it where it is now. There's just something about this KDX that I love, and now I understand why so many people like them.

I'm hoping that he can get the bearing pressed down all the way flush and not have the 3-4mm spacing that some folks get. I mentioned the possibility of having to get the stem knurled and he said that if that's the case, he will git'r done.

Yeah, when the guy was parting out the '97 250, I started thinking... that might be the same boss part # I need, and it was! I nonchalantly asked the guy if he could throw in the kickstart lever and that "thingy" that connects it to the engine. :grin:

I really appreciate all of the experience/knowledge/advice I've received from this website!

Todd
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

As best I remember, those years are the same OD.

Good luck on it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You shouldn't have a gap on the '97 forks. I know I didn't have a gap.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I still haven't got a reply from RB. I'm kind of stuck where I'm at until then. I'm not sure if he just isn't getting my Emails or what the deal is.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

javjacob wrote: 12:15 am Feb 20 2020 I still haven't got a reply from RB. I'm kind of stuck where I'm at until then. I'm not sure if he just isn't getting my Emails or what the deal is.
He’s retired.
I like turtles
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

SS109 wrote: 09:21 pm Feb 19 2020 You shouldn't have a gap on the '97 forks. I know I didn't have a gap.
Great! I hope mine works out the same!
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

javjacob wrote: 12:15 am Feb 20 2020 I still haven't got a reply from RB. I'm kind of stuck where I'm at until then. I'm not sure if he just isn't getting my Emails or what the deal is.
Since I sent out my money order today for the stem/bushing spacer, I sent him a follow up email letting him know. I also asked him if he could provide some clarification on what his status is - fully retired, or semi-retired like his website says. He's obviously selling new carbs and other parts, but I'm not sure if he's doing machining any longer.

I let him know that you've been trying to get in contact with him, so hopefully you'll hear something. I have a different email address that I've been using to communicate with him than the one on his website.

On another note, have you reached out to a local machine shop to get your work done if Ron isn't doing that anymore?

Todd
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I heard back from him today and he said he is still doing it so I will have it shipped out tomorrow. Whew! I was getting kind of worried he was finished with that work. I'm sure he wont be doing it for too much longer and lucky for us that use his services he is still doing it now. I'll have his carb and head mods and 01 KX250 fork swap on both my 200 and 220. :)
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I did the same with both mine as you did getting new bearings/races. Definitely not something to cheap out on is also my thinking. On my other one I drilled and tapped the 2 bosses on the lower clamp with a 6x1.00 tap. Then I used 2 pieces of stainless steel that I drilled 2 holes in to mount the lower bracket for the headlight. Going to do the same on this one.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

javjacob wrote: 06:29 pm Feb 20 2020 On my other one I drilled and tapped the 2 bosses on the lower clamp with a 6x1.00 tap. Then I used 2 pieces of stainless steel that I drilled 2 holes in to mount the lower bracket for the headlight. Going to do the same on this one.
Sounds like a good way to mount your light. I think I'm just switching over to an MX plate for now, especially since I added a Maier MX rear fender the other day.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I had thought about the MX rear fender and number plate since I never ride at night anyway. It is nice to have it just in case you ever do. I like the MX look.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200